Tuesday, August 9, 2016

100% Committed-part 7

(Please read previous posts in this series 100% Committed, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6.)

  The young woman thought for a minute before answering my question.  Most people do alright.  Some seem to struggle a little bit.  I guess it's a little different for everyone."
  Renee and I started down the path wondering if we were in for a struggle.  Mentally, I said a quick prayer to Jesus, "Thank you for being with me and helping me overcome my fears.  Please continue to be with me.  I couldn't do this without you."
  As we got closer to the next challenge I heard Renee gasp, "Oh no, not rope swings.  I have no upper body strength."
  "Well maybe this will be easier than you think," I said trying to sound hopeful.
  "Alright you two, come on over here and let me explain this next challenge," said a nice older gentleman.  "What you need to do is swing from one lily pad to the next, until you make it across the pond.  Make sure you time your jump right and try to land in the middle of the lily pad or you'll fall into the water.  But don't worry the pond is only 4 ft deep and if you fall in you can just swim to the next lily pad.  Any questions?"
  "Just one," said Renee.  "Can I just skip this challenge?  I don't want to get wet."
  The man smiled and said, "Don't worry only a couple of people got wet today.  I'm sure you ladies will do fine.  Just remember your a team, you both have to finish the challenge.  I would suggest taking your shoes and socks off, just in case your foot slips a little.  That way you won't ruin your shoes."

  The "lily pads' were actually what looked like small trampoline  inflatables, big enough for two or three people to stand on at one time.  The rope swings were connected to a pulley system.  Once your rope was attached, you would just have to get enough momentum and hold on tight until you reached the next lily pad.  It looked manageable to me, but Renee looked a bit nervous. 
  "I think we're going to be able to handle this next one," I said with optimism.
  "I don't  know. I don't feel good about this. I was never good with ropes swings even when I was a kid," Renee admitted.
  "Well you follow me this time and I'll coach you through it.  Deal?  Don't worry we make a great team. We totally got this."
  "Alright.....I'm going to do whatever you do. ". Renee said.
    We took our shoes and socks off and approached the platform.  I grabbed the rope in my hands, jumped off the platform, and held on tightly.  Before I knew it, I was nearing the first lily pad. I let go and dropped right in the middle of the lily pad.
    "Renee don't worry it's not hard.  Just hold on tight and I'll tell you when to drop."
  Renee took a small jump and slowly came towards me.  I wished she would have had a little more momentum, but she did fine.
  "I did it!" she said after landing safely.  "That's kind of a long time to hold on.  You made it look a lot easier."
  " I think you just need to put a little more oomph into your take off jump, that way you will go faster and won't need to hold on as long." I advised. " Alright we've got one down and five more to go.  Are you ready?"
  "Yep, let's do it!"
   We made it to the second and third lily pad without any trouble, but I could tell Renee was getting tired.  She just didn't get enough momentum behind her when she jumped.  On the fourth lily pad Renee was tired and misjudged her landing.  She dropped too soon and her right foot slid off the edge.  She fell to her knees and began sliding into the water.  Quickly I reached out my hand and helped pull her back to the middle of the lily pad.
  "Oh my gosh, thank you so much for saving me!  I thought I was going to fall in completely.  Oh, that was so close.  Look at the bottom of my pants, though, they are completely wet. I wished I would have worn shorts like you.". Renee let out a big sigh.  "I don't think I can keep going.  I'm completely exhausted now."
  "Well how about we just sit and take a rest?  There's no time limit on the challenge." I suggested.
  "Well that's true. Ok, let's just sit here for a little bit."
    "So you never told me what saint you were reading about."
  Renee smiled and said, "Oh, I'm reading about St. Paul.  He really  fascinates me. I would love to live in a world where everyone was that dedicated to spreading the Gospel.  He faced so many challenges like being stoned, shipwrecked and imprisoned, and yet it never stopped him from doing God's Will.  He was totally committed to Christ.  I've gone through some stuff the last couple of years, and I have a plaque with one of his famous quotes on my dresser.  It helps keep me going when I feel like giving up."
  "Really?  Which quote?" I asked.
  'I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.'  I love that quote.  That's why when I saw Sister Clara's book on St. Paul, I knew I had to read it."
  "I know what you mean.  I felt like I was meant to read St. Faustina's Diary.  So what do you think St. Paul would do in our situation?"
  Renee started laughing.  "He would probably go from lily pad to lily pad powerfully preaching the gospel and converting the entire city.  He probably would not care that his pants were wet ,or that he was tired, or that he wasn't strong enough for the challenge."
  "Well then, should we finish this challenge, so you can begin converting sinners?" I jokingly asked.
  "Yes.  Let's finish this challenge."
  Although Renee was tired, she made it to the fifth lily pad.  We had one more lily pad to go and then we would finish by swinging to the landing dock.  As I stood on the last lily pad, I noticed that Renee had a very little momentum behind her.  Her face was turning red.  As she slowly approached it look like she was getting ready to jump.
  "Renee, hold on, don't let go!" I yelled.  But the warning was too late.  Renee let go of the rope too soon and tried to jump onto the lily pad, but missed.  I lunged forward hoping to grab her hand, but I missed.  Renee splashed into the water.  I held my hand out to help her climb up, but Renee was really struggling.  Her wet pants were weighing her body and spirit down.
  "I can't get up on the lily pad.  I'm just going to give up.  You go ahead without me."
  "Renee, we're a team remember.  We are going to finish this together.  Come on, I'll help you get up."
  After a few unsuccessful attempts, Renee was very discouraged.  "I just can't do it."
  "Don't give up.  I'm praying for you."

   From the side of the pond Sister Clara had been watching Kay and Renee.  She had grown a little concerned when she saw the two sitting down for awhile.  When Renee fell in the water, she wondered if they would need help.  She heard Kay tell Renee she was praying for her and that's when Sister Clara jumped into the water and headed towards them.
  "Ladies, can I help you out?" asked Sister Clara.
  "Sister Clara what are you doing out here?"  Renee asked.
  "Well I think I'm the answer to Kay's prayer.  I heard Kay say she was praying for you, and the Holy Spirit just about pushed me into the water urging me to help out.  So here I am."
  "Oh my gosh, I'm so embarrassed," Renee admitted.  "I can't believe you jumped in the water to help rescue me."
  "There's nothing embarrassing about needing help, Renee.  That is what prayer is all about.  Bringing our needs to Jesus.  Asking His assistance for those who are suffering.  It was never God's Plan for us to be self-sufficient.  God wants and desires us to take care of each other.  Now, how can I help?"
  "Well, we were trying to get Renee up on the lily pad, so that we could finish the challenge," I explained.  "I think if I pulled and you gave her a little boost, we could do it." 
  Sister Clara looked at Renee and said, "Renee I want you to do something for me.  Don't focus on your limitations, focus on what God feels is possible for you to do."
   We tried my idea and it worked.  Then Renee and I helped Sister Clara up, too.  The three of us sat there breathing hard for a minute or two, trying to catch our breath.
  Renee looked at Sister Clara and said, "Thank you so much for helping me.  I'm so sorry you got all wet."
  "Renee, I don't want you to be sorry.  Every morning I pray 'God I am all yours today.  Put me in those places and situations that need me the most.'  Trust me, I would be more mad at myself if I was still dry and standing at the pond's edge.  I love it when my faith boldly leads me forward to help others!  You know that saying 'God never gives you more than you can handle?'  Well I sometimes wonder about that.  I think sometimes God does give us more than we can handle.  I mean if we could always handle everything ourselves, we wouldn't have to rely and trust God so much.  We wouldn't have to help one another.  Our faith grows in many different ways.  Sometimes the crosses we carry in our lives bring us face to face with God.  We feel His touch, we listen for His voice, and we cry out for His love.  God is always at our side, but if we aren't constantly talking to Him in prayer, we forget that.  When our problems are too heavy we have to be careful not to sink into despair.  Despair leads to despondence, where as prayer leads us to respond.  We respond to the graces God pours on us and we are strengthened.  I honestly think that one of God's favorite ways to love us, is when He can inspire others to be a reflection of His love."
  Renee's eyes filled with tears.  She reached over and gave Sister Clara a hug and said, "Tell God I said thank you for loving me so much, and thank you for helping me to understand.  I always feel like a loser when I can't do everything myself and I need others to help me, but maybe that's God's Plan." Then Renee gave me a hug as well.  "Thank you for being such a good friend to me today."
  "Alright ladies lets jump back in the water and head to shore." announced Sister Clara. 
  "But what about the challenge?  Don't we have to finish?"  I asked.
  Sister Clara smiled. "You did complete the challenge. And if you ask me, I think you nailed it."
  "What do you mean?" I wondered.
  "You worked as a team and allowed your faith to actively lead you. You helped each other and you put your trust in God.  What else can one do when faced with a challenge or an uncertainty?"
  Renee and I smiled at each other as we together counted, "One, two, three!"  We made a giant splash and then laughed our way towards shore.  I never imagined learning about prayer was going to be this much fun.

(to be continued...)

-Susan