Monday, July 25, 2016

100% Committed- part 3

Please read 2 previous posts 100% Committed (posted 7/19 /16) and part 2 (posted 7/22/16).


  We all walked into the gym and noticed small stacks of hand weights on one side of the gym.  "Alright I would like each of you to line up on the far side of the gym," announced Sister Clara.  As I walked pasts the piles, I noticed they each had different weight limits.  They looked similar to ones that I had used in an aerobics class last year.  I wondered why we would need these.
  Sister Clara stood in front of the class ready to instruct.  "I want each of you to think of three responsibilities you need to attend to every day whether it be work, taking care of the kids, cooking, cleaning, school, etc.  Now for each of these responsibilities I want you to pick up a 5 lb. weight."
  We all found our 5 lb. weights and brought them back to our spots.
  "Now I want you you to think of three things you do for relaxation each day, for example, going out to dinner, hanging out with friends, going on social media, TV, computer games, etc.  I would like you to pick up a 3 lb. weight for each of these things."
  Again we all found our corresponding weights and returned to our spots.
  "Great!  Now we are ready to begin!" Sister Clara said with enthusiasm.  "Every day each of us must juggle different responsibilities.  Some of these responsibilities weigh on us a little more that others.  What I would like each of you to do next,  is to think of the 3 responsibilities you assigned to the 5 lb. weights.  Pick up one of the 5 lb. weights and jog around the gym, up the stairs, go across the upper gym, descend the other set of stairs, and then return that weight to this rack.  I would like you to do that for all 3 of your 5 lb. weights.  After you have done that I would like you to do the same things with your 3 lb. weights.  Does everyone understand?"  Sister Clara smiled as she saw us nodding our heads "yes" and then blew a whistle.  "Okay, let's get started!"
  I managed to do the first two laps without any difficulty.  I felt myself slow down a bit on the third lap and I was definitely breathing a little harder.  Although there were a few people ahead of me, there seemed to be more behind me.  I felt bad when I saw two middle aged woman slow down to a walk.  As I jogged I wondered what this even had to do with praying.  Was Sister Clara trying to tell us we needed to be in better shape?  Does praying take endurance?  
  By the time we were finishing the last lap with our 3 lb. weights, we all seemed to be spread out more.  As we put our last weight on the rack, Sister Clara pointed to another pile of weights and said,  "Only one more lap left.  Go ahead and pick up the 2 lb. weight which represents your prayer time and complete the last lap.
  Although this was the lightest weight, I was feeling pretty winded and tired.  Now I know why my friend said to wear my running shoes today.  I heard others moaning and complaining when they were given one more weight.  I did my best not to gripe as I very slowly jogged the last lap.  As each of us finished, Sister Clara handed us a pen and a piece of paper. 
  "Please compose a very personal prayer to God thanking Him for His Presence and asking Him for guidance." Sister Clara instructed with a big smile.
  I took the pen and paper and collapsed on the floor alongside everyone else.  Nobody seemed to be writing.  Everyone seemed to be taking a rest instead.  I did my best to think of something, but I was spent.  I couldn't think of anything.
  After Sister Clara and an assistant rolled the carts of weights back into storage, she stood in front of the class again.  "So who would like to share their prayer with the class?"  She looked around and saw no volunteers.  "Okay, let me ask you this: How many of you feel you wrote a very meaningful prayer to God?"
  "Does please don't let me have a heart attack after running so much count?" someone whined.
  Of course this statement was followed by laughter and other similar comments.  Sister Clara looked around and asked, "Does anyone know what the point of this exercise was?"
  We all shook our heads "no".
  "Every day we are faced with choices and responsibilities.  They consume a great deal of our time.  Sometimes they exhaust us physically, emotionally, and mentally.  We do our best to multitask and fit as much as we can into each day, and then at the very end of the day, when we are completely exhausted, we try to pray."  Sister Clara paused for a moment before continuing.  "Why do you think that most people feel it is alright to give so little of themselves to God in prayer?  Should God just be grateful that we at least remembered to pray?"  Again she paused.  "Earlier today I asked you to think of the many ways God had blessed you.  I asked you if you wanted to be one of heaven's saints.  Something all the saints had in common was a strong prayer life.  They didn't give God a little bit of time at the end of the day when they were exhausted, their thoughts were centered around God throughout the day.  In order for our prayer life to grow, in order for us to grow closer to God, we can't put Him last on our priority list.  He has to come first."  Again she paused. 
   "Before we break for the day, I want you to take the next fifteen minutes and think of three things you could do differently in order to spend better quality time with God.  Maybe you could wake up fifteen minutes earlier each day and begin your day with prayer.  Maybe you turn the radio off in your car on the way to or home from work and have a conversation with God instead.  Maybe you pray before you go on social media or watch tv.  It's entirely up to you.  Choose things that make sense to you and your lifestyle. 
   Also, before we meet next week, I would like each of you to spend some time reading about one of the saints.  I have lots of books here you could choose from, or you may choose to read a book you already have, or some of you may prefer to acquire an e-book.  I realize you may not have the time to read the entire book this week, and that's fine. This is an ongoing assignment without a specific deadline.  While you're reading ask yourself, 'How does this particular saint approach prayer and is this something I can emulate?'  I am looking forward to meeting again next week and please do your very best to spend quality time with God."

(to be continued....)

-Susan