Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Love Your Neighbors

  Carmen drove with her daughter, Mattie,  across town to visit her mother.  It was her  Mom's 77th birthday today.  Her brother, Raymond was also coming in for the celebration.  Besides her failing eye sight, Irene, was in good shape for her age and was still very comfortable living in the house where she had raised her family.  Carmen had tried very hard to convince her Mom to move when her father passed away fours years ago, but Irene was not interested in leaving her home.  "This is where I belong, I love it here," she remembered her mother saying.  As Carmen turned down the street, she felt a little uncomfortable.  The houses seemed a little more run down then when she had grown up here.  Of course, Carmen lived in a very large house just over an hour away.  Her house was probably too big for her husband and Mattie, but it was very beautiful and in a well known neighborhood.
  As Carmen pulled into the driveway she saw her mother sitting on the front porch with a pitcher of lemonade next to her.  Carmen smiled as she remembered how many times her friends would all come over and hang out on the front porch.  Those were good times, but people just didn't really do that any more.
  "Hello Birthday girl!" Carmen shouted as she got out of the car and walked towards the front porch.
  "Grandma!" shouted Mattie as she ran to give her a hug.
  "Oh, I'm so happy to see you both!  How was the traffic?  Raymond called and said he was running a little late," Irene said.
  "When isn't he running late?" Carmen replied with a laugh.
  "Mattie will you do me a favor?  There is a big plate of homemade cookies on the kitchen table, could you please bring them out for us to enjoy."
  "Sure Grandma," said Mattie before running inside.  Mattie came back with the plate and one cookie already in her mouth.  "I was hoping you would have baked some cookies.  Yours are the best!"
  "Mom you didn't have to go to that fuss.  I could have picked some up on the way."
  "Well it's my birthday and I wanted to celebrate with everyone," Irene stated with a smile.
  Just then a man walking down the sidewalk yelled, "Good morning Irene.  Looks like you have company today."
  "I do.  Carlos come on over and meet my daughter and granddaughter."
  As Carlos walked up, Carmen couldn't help but notice his wrinkled t-shirt, his out-dated pants and old tennis shoes.  "Hello.  It's nice to meet you both," Carlos said with a friendly smile.
  Carmen nodded and returned the smile.
  "Carlos did you know today is my birthday?  Please sit down and have one of my famous home-made cookies and some lemonade," Irene said.  Carlos chatted for a few minutes with the girls as he enjoyed the refreshments.
  "Irene is it okay if Mariana comes over for an hour after school on Wednesday?  I have an appointment again.  I promise it won't be more than an hour."
  "Oh sure," answered Irene.  "Mariana is always welcomed.  And don't rush to get back here,  I don't have any plans."
  "Thank you, Irene.  Someday I will repay you."
  "Please, you do enough for me already."
  "Hi Irene!" said a young woman pushing a stroller.
  "Belinda come meet my Carmen," yelled Irene.  Carmen took a quick note of Belinda's numerous tattoos and piercings as she came up to the porch.  "Here have some cookies and help yourself to some lemonade.  This is my Carmen and her beautiful daughter Mattie."
  "Hi!  Your mom brags about you all the time," revealed Belinda.  "You sure are lucky to have a mom that loves you so much.  I never really knew my mom.  She left when I was little.  That's why I like talking with Irene.  She knows so much about raising kids.  She gives great advice."
  Carmen did her best to smile and make small talk with Carlos and Belinda, but she was obviously a bit uncomfortable.  She was about to excuse herself when she heard a loud motorcycle coming down the street.  The man tooted his horn and waved as he went by.
  "Who was that Grandma?" asked Mattie.
  "Oh, that's Lee, he lives a couple houses over," Irene said nonchalantly.
  After a few more minutes, Carlos and Belinda said their good-byes and continued their walk. Sissy waited until they were out of ear shot before she said, "Mom, I'm not sure this is such a good neighborhood for you anymore."
  "What do you mean?  I have lots of friends here."
  "I know, Mom, but your eyesight isn't what it used to be.  I don't think your seeing the whole situation here.  Do you know Belinda has more tattoos and piercings then anyone I know, and that Carlos looks like a hobo?  Why are you watching his daughter? I feel like he is taking advantage of you.  And Lee just totally scares me."
  Irene was silent for a moment.  Then she said, "Carmen, I'll tell you what I see.  Carlos is a man who is completely devoted to his wife and daughter.  His wife has been sick for the past six months and he has to take her back and forth to the doctors.  I can't see Belinda's piercings but I see how much she loves her little boy. She doesn't want to make the mistakes her mom made.  She stops by everyday to ask me questions, because she wants to learn how to be a good mom.  And Lee shovels my driveway in the winter and rakes my leaves in the fall.  I see a man who is very generous and kind. And I look at you and I see someone who is a wonderful mother and daughter.  And I am very proud of you, but I'm wondering if you forgot something I taught you...to see Jesus in every person you meet.  It's such a simple thing, but it seems to make all the difference in this world...and the one to come."
  Carmen leaned over and kissed her mother on the forehead.  "I love you Mom, you still are the smartest person I know.  I think tonight I will pray to inherit your eyesight."




-Susan