Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Just Try


"I don't think I can do it." Leena said as she sat down with her arms around her legs and her head buried in her lap.
  "I'd like you to try," said the man.
  "I can't.  You don't understand the pain I've been through.  It hurts too much." Leena confessed as tears streamed down her cheek.
  "I know you've been hurt.  I want to help you."
  "Do you really think what happened was fair?  Do you think I deserved to be treated like that?"
  "What happened was wrong.  It can't be undone.  But I want it to stop hurting you."
  "I'm not you.  I can't forgive people like that.  They don't deserve my forgiveness."
  "I never said they deserved it.  I want to help you heal."
  Leena looked up for a minute and wiped the stream of tears that could not be stopped.  "How is forgiving them going to help me heal?  It's not going to take away my pain."
  "I can't argue that you've been deeply hurt.  But if you open your heart to forgiveness,  I can pour my love and grace in you, so you can begin to heal."
  "I don't think I can ever be healed."
  "Trust me, Leena.  It may take time, and it may not be easy,  but my grace is sufficient."
  "Jesus, of course, I trust you.  I just... I don't know how I could ever forgive...."  Leena sat for a long time next to Jesus. Patiently, Jesus sat right next to her.  Then Jesus heard a very tiny voice say, "Please open my heart to forgiveness.  Please help me.  I can't do this on my own."
  "Leena, that was all I needed to hear to get started.  I only need the smallest 'yes' to begin."
  "I might need to take this very slow, though.  It's not going to be easy for me."
  "I'll be with you with each moment."
  "I love you, Jesus.  Thank you for helping me. Please stay close to me."
  "I love you, too.  Just keep trusting me. 'Behold, I make all things new.'"

-Susan