Wednesday, August 3, 2016

100% Committed- part 5

Please read previous posts 100% committed (posted 7/19/16), part 2 (posted 7/22/16), part 3 (posted 7/25/16), and part 4 (posted 7-29-16).

  "I would like everyone to find a partner and then meet me outside," announced Sister Clara.  "Please go out the back door.  Walk through the courtyard, and then take the path just to the right. Just follow that path through the trees and into the clearing for our next exercise."
  I looked around for a partner and walked over to a woman tying her shoes.  "Hi!  I'm Kay, would you like to be partners?" I asked.
  The woman stood up and smiled.  "Yes, that would be great.  I'm Renee."
  The two of us followed  the others out the back door and down the path.  My mouth dropped when I saw what was in the clearing.  I started laughing with disbelief.  "Are you kidding me?  Oh my gosh, I didn't know we were going to be participating in an episode of 'Ninja Warriors'!"
  Renee looked at me and said, "You're going to be sorry you chose my for a partner, I'm really not that athletic."
  Everyone began to talk excitedly as we took in the obstacle course ahead of us.  Of course, it was not as extreme as Ninja Warrior competitions, but it did look a bit intimidating.  I could see a high ropes portion, a large tower, a balance beam, a rope swing, and what looked like floating lillypads.
  "I bet you are all wondering what is going to happen next," declared Sister Clara as she stepped onto a small platform by the large rope tower.  "Please let me explain.  You see, I don't want your faith to be a noun-something you keep inside you.  I want your faith to be a verb.  I want your faith to be active in your life.  Faith is full of challenges and requires hard work.  Your prayer life should strengthen your faith and actively propel you forward, even when it seems impossible.
  I asked you to pick partners, because I want you to encourage and cheer each other on.  We need one another.  That's why Jesus made a point of stressing that we should love one another.  We have to care and look out for each other.
  Today I hope you all learn something about yourself.  I want you to take that faith you keep safely inside your heart or head, and I want you to let it lead you.  This course represents the challenges we all face at different times in our lives.  I want you to all pray that your faith will be strengthened in times of need.  Faith is not about giving up.  Let your faith lead you and encourage you to dig a little deeper, try a little harder, or give it one more chance.  Pray that your faith will help you accept and learn from your mistakes, and be open to forgiveness.  And lastly, remember to let your faith smile and radiate joy, even when it appears that you have been

beaten.

  I'm going to have you all come over here and sign some release forms before you slip into some safety harnesses.  Do I have any volunteers to go first?"

(to be continued...)

-Susan