Friday, August 5, 2016

100% Committed-part 6

(Please read previous posts in this series.  100% Committed, part 2, part 3, part 4, and part 5.)

  Fortunately for us, Renee and I were not experienced with putting on safety harnesses, and a few other partners were ready before us.  I was a little nervous and excited at the same time.  I hoped I would not look too foolish trying these challenges.
  "Okay you two, your next," said a nice young man in his late twenties.  The young man clipped my safety line to my harness and said, "Don't worry you'll do fine.  It's not as hard as it looks."
  "That's easy for you to say, because you're a lot younger." Renee said teasingly.  "I'm sure this would have looked a lot easier when I was in my twenties."
  The man looked at Renee and playfully said, "Well I've heard Sister Clara say it's not about your age, but how mature your faith is." They both laughed as he clipped her safety line as well.
  I joined them in their laughter before I quietly admitted to Renee, "I have a slight fear of heights."
  "Don't worry," she said, "We'll get through this together."
  We began to climb the rope tower which was about three stories high. I did the first two stories much quicker than Renee, so I decided to stop and let her catch up.  I yelled down, "Renee you're doing a great job!" 
  "I don't think I can do it." responded Renee.
  "Of course you can. Remember, with God all things are possible."
  Renee smiled.  "You're right.  I trust God will help me through this challenge."
  "He will.  In fact that is my new prayer mantra- 'Jesus, I trust in you.'  I picked St. Faustina for our reading assignment.  Are you familiar with her?" I asked.
  "Yes, I know about the Divine Mercy Image and about the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.  I like to pray the chaplet every day." Renee answered.  I think talking with Renee helped distract her from giving up.
  "You know, I'm just learning about the chaplet.  I think I should try to pray it daily, too.  It doesn't seem like it would take a long time."
  "Oh, it definitely doesn't.  Ten minutes tops. ... You know you don't have to wait for me.  I can meet you at the top." Renee said with hope.
  I just smiled.  "I can wait.  I'm not so anxious to see what's at the top."
  Before long, Renee caught up to me and we continued talking and climbing the rest of the way together.  I was glad I had asked her to be my partner.  She was very nice and easy to talk to.  When we reached the top of the tower,  my stomach got a little queasy as I took in the next part of the challenge-the high ropes. We both stood on the small platform and assessed our next move while another young man switched our safety lines to the next run.  In front of us, were at least what appeared to be, 10-12 horizontal planks, independently tied to the ropes above us.
  Renee seemed a little more optimistic than I as she said, "Ok, it looks like we need to walk across these planks to get to that platform over there," she said pointing at the platform 100 yards away.  "I think if we steadily walked from one plank to the next, it shouldn't swing too much."
  I looked down and realized I probably shouldn't have.  "Wow, we are really high up.  I'm not feeling too good all of a sudden."
  "Ok, stop looking down and just look at me.  I'll go first.  Just do whatever I do-unless I fall, don't do that."
  "Oh my gosh, do you think I'll fall?" I said terrified.
  "No, of course not.  I was just kidding.  You are much more athletic than I am.  This will be a piece of cake for you," Renee said with a big smile.
  "Hmmm... I could go for a big piece of cake right now."
  "Well I promise if we get through this, I mean when we get through this, I will buy you one, and we will have a good laugh about this challenge.  Alright, I'll go first and you follow behind."  Renee slowly stepped unto the first plank.  "Oh, this is not that bad at all.  You definitely can do this."
  I watched Renee go from plank to plank and followed her lead.  We were halfway across when I made the mistake of looking down again.  I could feel my heart racing and I suddenly broke out into a cold sweat.  My feet froze and I couldn't move.  I could hear Renee talking but I couldn't concentrate on her words.  My fears were getting the best of me.
  "Kay, stop looking down," yelled Renee.  "Your faith is bigger than your fears.  You got this.  Come on look towards heaven that's the path for you.  What would St. Faustina pray when she was afraid?"
  I managed to let a small voice escape from my fears as I said, "Jesus, I trust in you.  She would say, 'Jesus I trust in you.'"
  "Well there you go.  There's your answer.  Let go of your fears and trust in Jesus."
  I closed my eyes for a minute and tried to picture Jesus standing beside me.  "Ok, Jesus, I'm going to give you my fears and my trust.  Please help me get through this, " I silently prayed.  When I opened my eyes again, I could see Renee patiently waiting for me.  "Renee, you're right, I can do this."  I kept my focus on the next platform and didn't allow my fears to distract me from the plan.  Step by step, I was doing it.  I could hear Renee humming the song 'When the Saints Go marching In' and I almost started laughing.  As I stepped off the last plank and on to the platform, Renee and I screamed with excitement, "We did it!" as we exchanged a high-5.
  "Ok, what's next?" I asked the next young man.
  "This is the fun part.  I'm going to switch your safety line and harness you up to the zip line.  Just relax and enjoy the ride."  As I was being harnessed up and instructed, I caught sight of a poster tacked up to one of the poles.  'Feel the power of the Holy Spirit in the wind.  Let the Holy Spirit refresh and renew you.'  As I jumped off the platform and soared towards the bottom I felt completely exhilarated.  My inner joy was bursting out of me and I screamed for the pure joy of it!  When I reached the bottom, a young woman helped unhook my line and gave the signal to let Renee go down.  I laughed as I heard Renee screaming just like me.

  "Wasn't that awesome?!" I asked Renee.
  "That was so cool!  I loved it!" Renee exclaimed.
  "Ok, ladies, just climb down this ladder and follow the path to your next challenge."
  "Is this next challenge easy or hard?" I asked.

(to be continued...)

-Susan