Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Road Less Traveled: Second Encounter

 (This Advent story began on the post dated Nov 28, 2016)


 Mary and Joseph awoke early the next morning and began their trip towards Bethlehem.  Joseph felt fortunate that they owned a donkey and Mary would not have to walk the entire way.  However, Joseph could tell that riding the donkey was not a comfortable situation for Mary.  Although she did not complain, Mary often requested that they stop and rest a minute as she rubbed her back.
 "Well Joseph, I think it is your turn to ride the donkey," Mary said jokingly.
  "Oh, you think I'm going to sit on this poor tired donkey while my pregnant wife wattles alongside?  I don't think you would be able to keep up with us," Joseph said teasingly as he flashed Mary a smile.
  Mary started laughing.  She really enjoyed Joseph's playful sense of humor.  He was going to be a very good father.  He was loving and kind, generous and good natured, and He had a heart of gold.  "Well you and the donkey will have to forgive me for being so slow these days," Mary said with a smile.
  "I will forgive you in a heartbeat, but I'm not so sure about our friend, Donkey.  He can be quite stubborn sometimes."  Again, Mary smiled at Joseph.  "Tell you what I think we should do.  Why don't we both walk together and give Donkey a rest.  I believe there is a small town coming up soon and we can stop and have lunch.  Maybe if you rested for a little bit your back will stop hurting."
  Mary nodded her head in agreement, "I think that sounds like a good idea."
  When they reached the small town, Joseph knocked at the first house and asked where he might find some water and a place for Mary to rest.  The man who answered the door looked at Joseph and then Mary.  He couldn't help but notice the young woman was with child.  He very politely invited Mary inside his home and then showed Joseph where he could get some water for the donkey.  While Joseph was gone, Mary quietly sat down on an empty seat and closed her eyes for a few moments.  Suddenly she was startled when a pot fell and an older woman emerged mumbling to herself and carrying a loaf of bread.
  "My husband told me to offer you some bread.  I'm surprised you would be traveling when you are so far along.  You're pretty young, too.  Don't you know any better?" the woman rudely asked.
  Mary politely accepted the bread that was offered to her.  "Thank you for your kind hospitality.  My husband and I are traveling to Bethlehem because of the Roman census."
  "There are a lot of people traveling these days, thanks to Caesar.  As if Rome isn't already taking enough of our money for taxes, now they want a census taken, for what?  More taxes and more money?  Travelers just keep coming by and I'm just expected to give out what little food and drink we have," the woman sighed very loudly and then mumbled under her breath.  The woman was obviously not very happy.
  "Again, I thank you for your kindness.  I shall keep you in my prayers today and ask God to bless you for your generosity."
  The woman stopped for a moment and looked at Mary.  "You keep praying, because I have just about given up.  All my life I have prayed for the Messiah to come and save us.  And yet here we are, day after day, subjected to the Romans and burdened by their taxes and selfish leaders.  Why has God not heard our cries?"
  Mary compassionately look at this woman.  It appeared that this woman had let her faith wear thin as the troubles in her life increased.  Her hope was gone. Her eyes blind to God's love around her.  Cautiously, Mary continued the conversation.  "I am young, and certainly not as wise to the ways of the world as you are, but I pray every day, and I do believe God hears our cries.  My prayers seek out God's love.  I, too, pray for the Messiah to come, but not to be a governing leader, but to lead my heart toward salvation.  I would like to see changes, too.....but I don't think a government can bring about the changes I desire.  I think the power of change resides in our own hearts.  I try to live as if the Messiah was already in our midst.  What if you found the Messiah to be your neighbor, would you conduct yourself differently?
  We are all capable of changing this world we live in.  We can change our attitudes.  We can change how we speak to each other.  We can change how generous we are with one another.  We can change how we love one another.  Those are changes each of us are capable of making, and those changes could change our world.  It's a choice really.  You can live as if nothing you do matters, or you can live and truly believe that everything you do will be for the coming of the Kingdom of the Messiah.  Perhaps, only a few have power here on earth, but I think in God's Kingdom the power will reside in each and every heart faithful to God's covenant.  Love can be very powerful."
  The woman looked thoughtfully at Mary, surprised and touched by her words.  "Your wisdom is greater than your years, but how powerful can one heart be?  Can it fight an army?"
  "It is my prayer that one day we will all realize how much God loves us.  When we learn to love as God does, there will be no need for armies.  A heart filled with love desires peace,  and has no desire to allow power or jealousy to take root.  Jealousy is the seed of the Evil One.  We may not even notice it growing until it's roots begin to choke us and cut us off from the springs of everlasting love inside of us.  I try very hard to guard my heart from jealousy, and the riches and power of this world."
  The two woman continued to talk and eat. Mary spoke about the joy she experienced while praying, and the woman listened very carefully to all that Mary shared with her.  Twenty minutes later,  Joseph and the woman's husband returned.  Joseph looked at Mary and said,  "How are you feeling?"
  "I am feeling better.  We have been blessed to have found such gracious hosts along our travels."  Mary looked at the woman and said,  "I am grateful for your kindness.  I will pray that God brings blessings to this house."
  The woman looked at Mary and said, "I feel as if God, himself, already blessed us, the moment He brought you to our door.  Please, keep us in your prayers and I will keep you in mine as well.  You were hungry and I fed you with some bread, but you have fed me with your faith, and I didn't even realize I was starving. I feel that God is very near to you. I will pray for my heart to be changed as well."
  Mary smiled.
  "Shall we continue our journey, Mary?" Joseph inquired.
  "Yes, I am ready," Mary replied, and then asked, "Are you?"

(to be continued)