Friday, December 16, 2016

The Road Less Traveled-Eigth Encounter

(This fictional Advent Story begins on post Nov 28.)



  As they approached the nearest home, Joseph told Mary to rest a minute while he inquired if they could stay.  Joseph knocked several times before a man finally came to the door.
  "My wife and I are traveling to Bethlehem for the census and we are need of a place to stay for the night."
  "We don't really have much room," the man answered.
  "Please sir, my wife is with child and I do not think she can travel any farther."
  The man sighed.  "We have just received a visitor a few hours ago, the only room I have left is were the children sleep."
  "We will take any space that is available.  Please, I am desperate.  My wife and soon to be child are my whole life.  I can not risk their safety."  Joseph looked anxiously at Mary.  It would be dark soon and he knew Mary could not travel any farther.  "Sir, I am a skilled carpenter.  I will gladly work the evening if you would allow my wife a place to rest."
    "Well, that is an interesting idea.  I am behind on a few repair jobs....let me go inform my wife."
  The man returned in a few minutes with his wife and allowed Mary and Joseph to stay for the night.  As promised, Joseph began helping the man repairing a shed in the back of his property.  Mary sat down outside to rest for awhile.  She was very tired and her lower back was aching.  She suffered silently, though, because she felt terrible that Joseph would have to work a few more hours before he could rest.  Mary closed her eyes and asked the Lord to bestow extra blessings on Joseph and also to bless the family they were staying with.  While she was praying, she suddenly heard whispers and giggles.
  "See, I told you she wasn't sleeping," boasted five year old Benjamin.
  "Your very pretty," said his six year old sister Daniella.  "Did you know your face shines when you close your eyes like that?"
  Mary smiled.  "No, I didn't, because my eyes are closed."  Mary and the kids started laughing.
  "Why were you sitting with your eyes closed if your weren't sleeping?" Benjamin inquired.
  " I was praying.  Do you like to pray?"
  "Um...sometimes," Benjamin admitted as he looked down at the ground.
   "He only does when Mamma and Papa make him.  He's not as good at it as I am.  I don't fidget and I don't smile either," shared Daniella.
  Mary looked at Benjamin and said, "You know, the Lord likes it when you smile Benjamin.  He likes to see you be happy.  And you don't have to sit really still when you pray.  You could run across a field while praising God!'
  "You can?" questioned Benjamin.
  "Sure.  Do you want to try it?"  Benjamin nodded yes.  "Ok, look up at the sky and tell the Lord, 'Thank you for this beautiful day, thank you for blessing me with Mamma and Papa and Daniella, and your little sister Sarah.  Thank the Lord for giving you strong legs so you can run fast, and thank Him for making you so smart!' Now run as fast as you can across the field giving all that praise to the Lord."  Benjamin took off running, praising God loudly with a big smile on his face.
  "I want to try, too!" said Daniella, and she took off running to catch up with her brother.  The two children were soon laughing and thanking the Lord for everything. 
  Mary looked at three year old Sarah and said, "Do you want to join them?"
  Sarah looked at Mary and said, "No, I just want to be by you and the baby in your tummy."
  Mary smiled and said, "We like being by you, too."
  Sarah sat down very close to Mary and laid her head down on her stomach and wrapped her little arms around Mary.  They both just sat there smiling and watching Benjamin and Daniella give praise to God.
  Benjamin and Daniella ran and ran until they were completely exhausted. They came back smiling and out of breath.  "That was the most fun praying I ever had!  Can I pray like that tomorrow, too?" Benjamin asked.
  "I think that would make God very happy," Mary answered.  "There are lots of ways to pray.  Would you like to learn some more?"
  The children replied, "Yes!" and then gave Mary their full attention.  An hour almost went by before the children's mother joined them.
  "Mamma, Mary is teaching us how to pray! Come listen, she is really good at it!" declared Daniella.
  Daniella's mamma looked a little surprised as she sat down.  "Sarah, please don't lean on Mary like that, you might hurt her."
  "I not hurting her  Mamma.  I love her baby.  He makes me feel good." Sarah confessed.
  Mary smiled at Sarah and said, "It's fine.  She isn't hurting me."  
  Both the children and their mother listened as Mary talked about God's love and mercy and the promised Messiah. The children were full of questions and respectfully listened to all Mary had to say. The time seemed to go by very quickly and before they knew it the men had returned from working on the shelter tired and hungry. They all went inside to eat and rest for the night, and Papa was very impressed with Benjamin's prayer at dinner. 

(to be continued...)