Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Road Less Traveled-Seventh Encounter

(This fictional Advent story begins on post Nov. 28)


  Mary and Joseph had another long day of travel ahead of them.  Joseph kept thinking of Ruth's parting words, "You need to take good care of that little one inside you.  Soon your whole life will be changed."  Joseph wondered how he would protect and provide for the Messiah.  With each step Joseph prayed with all his heart, "My Lord, guide me along this path.  My life is Yours.  Your Will is my desire.  Enlighten and strengthen me to carry out Your Plans.  Help me to keep Mary and Your Son safe from all harm."
  "You have been very quiet, Joseph, have I done something to upset you?" Mary asked.
  Joseph turned and flashed Mary a smile. "You have done nothing to upset me.  I was just praying that I could be the husband you deserve and be able to provide for both you and our soon to be son."
  Mary slid off the donkey and reached for Joseph's hand, "Well that is a prayer I would like to offer as well.  I, too, hope that I will be the wife that you deserve, and that I will be a good mother as well."
  Mary and Joseph stood facing each other, holding hands, and silently praying for God's Wisdom to fill their hearts and minds, so that His Will would be accomplished.  Strengthened by their prayers and renewed with love they continued to walk the many miles that still laid ahead of them.
  As the day wore on, Joseph noticed Mary's walk was becoming much more difficult.  Although she never complained, He could tell Mary was very uncomfortable.  She was definitely getting closer to delivering.  Fortunately, Bethlehem was getting closer, too. If she could just make it there, he knew everything would be fine.  Finding a comfortable place to rest in Bethlehem would be easy.  That was his hometown and he knew lots of people there.  He would do everything he could to make up for the difficulties of the trip. Yes, Joseph was sure, everything would be better as soon as they arrived in Bethlehem.
  As the sun began to slowly approach the horizon, Joseph began to look for another place to stay for the night. "Joseph, could we possibly sit and rest for a while?" Mary asked.
  "Mary, I see some homes off in the distant. If we could make it there before the sun sets, we will be safe for the night.  I know you are tired.  Would you allow me to carry you the rest of the way?"
  Mary started laughing.  "Well that would be very unfair to you.  I know you are strong, but you may have misjudged my size."
  Joseph smiled and did his best to flex his muscles.  "My dear wife, I am stronger than you know, and I would consider it an honor to cross an entire desert carrying the Messiah and His mother in my arms."  Joseph dramatically bowed to Mary and then allowed his smile to reach her eyes.  
  Mary saw her smile reflected in Joseph's eyes.  He truly was a very good man. "My dear husband, I have noticed how hard the walk has been on your feet.  You have allowed me to ride on our donkey, and you have never taken a rest for yourself.  I could not bring myself to increase your burden. I can continue a few more miles, if it means an evening of rest." 
  "Should you change your mind, my offer still stands," Joseph tenderly offered.
  Mary again smiled at Joseph and said, "I feel very blessed to have you in my life."

(To be continued...)