Friday, December 2, 2016

The Road Less Traveled: Third Encounter

(This fictional Advent story began on post dated 11-28-16)


  Joseph helped Mary get back on the donkey as they continued their journey towards Bethlehem.  "It seemed to me you made quite an impression on that woman back there.  What were you talking about?" inquired Joseph.
  "One of my favorite subjects, prayer.  I just shared how important prayer was in my life.  I told her how we made prayer a priority in our lives, and how important it is for a husband and wife to pray together.  I told her how blessed I was to have such a holy man as my husband."
  Joseph turned back to see Mary smiling at him.  He blushed at such a generous compliment.  "Well I hope you told her that it was actually I who was blessed with such a devout spouse.  I really have no idea what I ever did to deserve having you as my wife."  Joseph stopped walking and leaned up against the donkey and Mary's side.  He looked up at Mary's face and said, "You have no idea how much I thank God every day for the gift of you and our soon to be son." Joseph turned his head into Mary’s side so that she would not see the tear of joy and love slide down his cheek.  As he gently pressed his face against her abdomen, he unexpectedly felt a kick.  "Mary, did you feel the baby just kick?"
  Mary smiled and said, "I think we both did that time.  I think our son enjoys the sound of your voice and how much you love us both."
  "Mary, sometimes I am completely overwhelmed when I think how you will give birth to the Messiah.  What do you think he will be like?  Do you think he will be just like other babies or will he know everything and just start talking to us?"
  Mary laughed and slid off the donkey.  "Well I hope he doesn't start talking the minute he is born.  How could we possibly explain that to others?"  Mary took Joseph's hand in hers and said,” I wonder what he will be like as well.  It's exciting, isn't it?"
  "Did the angel tell you if people will know he is the Messiah?"
  "How and when people will know was not revealed to me.  I'm sure in time, God will let us know.  Joseph, don't worry.  I know you will be an amazing father."
  "Just promise me one thing, Mary."
  "What?"
   "Please don't have this baby while we are traveling.  I honestly don't know if I would be of any help."
  "Joseph, I wish I could make that promise.  I get nervous, too, sometimes, but I close my eyes and I feel God's love inside my growing more each day, and I am filled with such joy.  Joseph, I think when his birth occurs it will be amazing."
  Joseph looked at Mary with so much love that he felt his heart could not contain all the love he felt for her.  Again, he silently asked God what he ever did to deserve to have Mary as his wife?

(to be continued)