Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Road Less Traveled-Tenth Edition

(This fictional Advent Story begins on post Nov 28).

  Joseph stayed for a few minutes watching Mary sleep before he returned to talk with Simon.  She looked so peaceful while she slept.  She didn't appear to be in pain anymore.  Joseph gently kissed her forehead and then quietly left the room.
  As we allow the young Mary of Nazareth to sleep, we will travel to encounter Mary on a future path.




  Mary walked into the hospital room and saw Cheryl resting comfortably.  Many years had gone by since their Advent meeting in the town's square.  Mary saw Cheryl's youngest daughter, Emily, sleeping in a chair next to her bed.  Emily was married with three children of her own now.  Mary looked around the room and saw a beautiful manger beside a large Poinsettia plant.  As Mary took a step closer to gaze at the infant Jesus in the manger, Emily woke up.
  "Oh, hello," Emily said as she tried to place the woman's face with a name.  "I guess Mom and I both drifted off to sleep.  Mom had a difficult time last night, but she seemed to improve throughout the day."  Emily wondered which of her mom's friends this woman was.  Her mom had so many friends, it was difficult to remember all of them.  Mary continued to lovingly glance at the manger set.  "Isn't that manger set beautiful?" Emily asked.  "Mom insisted we bring it from her house when the doctors said she would have to stay here a few more days.  This manger set has been prominently displayed in our house since I was a little girl.  I remember the night Mom came home from shopping and told us kids to gather around her as she unwrapped the greatest gift of Christmas.  It became a tradition for our family ever since.  Every year mom would unwrap the box with love and announce, 'Never forget, that baby Jesus is the greatest gift of Christmas.'
  Mary smiled, "That is a wonderful way to get ready for Christmas."
  "I have always enjoyed listening to my mom tell the story of Jesus' birth.  Each year she would end the story with a question for us kids to think about during Advent.  It is one of my favorite Christmas traditions, and now I try to be just like her, and do the same with my kids."
  "Your mother has a wonderful love for the Christ child.  Many people get so busy with the idea of Christmas, that they never discover  the true meaning.  Sadly, the path of pure joy leading to the Christ child is the road less traveled these days."  Mary and Emily continued to chat for several more minutes before Mary said, "I heard your Mom can't find her Rosary."
  "That's true.  How did you know that?  We've looked through her house and can't find it.  She loves to pray the Rosary, especially when she is out walking.  We're afraid it may have fallen out of her coat pocket when she fell," Emily explained.
  "I was hoping your Mom might like to borrow mine until she is able to find hers.  I know how important praying the Rosary is to her."  Mary handed a small jewelry size box with a single bow on top to Emily.
  Emily smiled.  "That is so thoughtful of you."
  Mary returned the smile and said, "You remind me so much of your ancestral grandmother Sarah.  You have her smile.  Merry Christmas, Emily, remember to tell your mother how much we are looking forward to celebrating Christmas mass with her."
  "Merry Christmas to you, too," Emily said as Mary walked out of the room.
  The next morning Cheryl woke up feeling better.  She smiled at Emily.  How fortunate she was to have children that stayed with her around the clock.  Cheryl's breakfast arrived a few minutes later, and while she was eating, Emily woke up.
  "Hi, Mom," Sarah said groggily, "How are you feeling?"
  "I am actually starting to feel much better.  I don't think I will be spending Christmas here.  I'm sure I will be getting out soon."
  "That's what your friend said last night, too," informed Sarah.
  "Did someone come visit me last night?  I don't remember anyone coming..."
   "Yes, actually, we were both sleeping when she came in, but I woke up when she was looking at the manger set."
  "Oh, who was it?"
  "Ummm, I don't know her name... I think she was one of your friends from church.  She knew you couldn't find your Rosary, and she wanted you to borrow hers.  Let me see.....where did I put it?"  Emily began to search through her bag next to the chair.  "Here it is.  Here, Mom, she left this for you."  Emily handed her Mom the small box.
  Cheryl's eyes grew wide.  The box looked all too familiar to her.  Cheryl's fingers instinctively touched the heart necklace she wore every day.  "What did the woman look like?" inquired Cheryl.
  "Well....she had brown hair that fell a little past her shoulders that was covered up with some type of scarf.  I don't think she wore any make up, but she had beautiful skin, and was very attractive.  She was soft spoken and very polite, yet she had this warmth to her as she talked."
  Cheryl carefully opened the box and saw the most beautiful rosary she had ever seen.  As she picked up the Rosary, she saw a strip of gold paper underneath it.  Cheryl's heart began to pound faster as she picked up the gold piece of paper.  It read exactly the same as the strip of paper she had read so many years ago, but with one difference--one word was added.  "This Christmas, let your heart continue to be filled with the mystery of the Incarnation. God became man for you."  
  Tears began to stream down Cheryl's face.  "Did she say anything more?"
  "You still don't know who she is?  Mom she knew me.  She knew my name.  She said, 'Merry Christmas Emily.' She told me I had some great ancestral grandmother's smile, which made no sense because she looked like she was my age.  Oh, and she said, 'Tell your Mom my son and I will be looking forward to celebrating Christmas Mass with her again.'
  Cheryl smiled a smile that took years off her face.  She looked at the beautiful Rosary in her hand, and said, "I know for sure who she is now."

(to be continued...)