Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Road Less Traveled-Twelth Edition

(This fictional Advent story begins on post date November 28.)

    The tightness lasted for only a minute. Mary looked at Joseph,  "I'm fine. I have never had a feeling like that before.  It might have been a contraction.  It happened so fast,  I'm not sure.  Let's wait a few minutes and see if it happens again."
  Joseph began pacing.  What should they do?  He had relatives in Bethlehem.  Jerusalem was still close, but very crowded.  Would there even be a place to stay in Jerusalem?  Joseph paced back and forth keeping his eyes on Mary.  "Anything?  Do you think it's happening?"
  "Joseph, please, sit down.  Everything is fine.  This is all new to me as well.  Let's join our  hands and pray for guidance.  Surely, the Lord has a plan.  Let us ask to understand and cooperate with His Will."  As the couple prayed,  a peace came over both of them.  Joseph no longer felt anxious.  They prayed for awhile before Mary spoke again.  "Joseph, I think we should continue towards Bethlehem."
  "Are you sure?"
  "Yes.  I have not had any more tightness.  I have heard these things can happen days before the baby comes.  I know that the Lord will watch over us.  The Messiah will be born according to God's Plan."
  "Mary, promise me you will let me know if you feel any more signs."
  "You have my word."
  Joseph and Mary continued their journey towards Bethlehem.  They had hours in front of them, and Joseph wanted the donkey to keep a steady pace.  As they traveled, Mary and Joseph remained in peace and prayer as they recited psalms and sang praise to God.
  When they arrived in Bethlehem the city was filled with people everywhere.  "I have never seen the town like this before," Joseph exclaimed.  Joseph decided to register for the census first.  After inquiring where the census was being taken, Joseph lead Mary through the crowds to a large public building in the center of town. The line was very long, and the sun was beginning to set by the time they had finished registering.
  "Now my dear wife, we must find a place to stay."  As Joseph said this, Mary felt another tightening from her back to her abdomen.  This time it was much stronger.
  Mary grabbed Joseph's arm, "Joseph! I need to sit down."
  Joseph felt the strength in Mary's grab and understood the urgency in her voice.  It was happening!  Joseph led Mary through the crowd and found a place for her to sit.  "Mary...is it time?" Joseph asked already knowing the answer.
  Mary nodded her head yes.  "I think this is the beginning."
  Joseph looked around at the crowded streets.  "Mary, I need to find us a place. I don't want to leave you, but I don't want you in the crowds either.  I could move more swiftly by myself.  I could quickly find us a place and then come back to you.  Could you stay by yourself for a few minutes?"
  "I'm fine, Joseph.  I think it would be better if I stayed sitting as well. I will immerse myself in prayer until you return."
  Joseph looked anxiously at Mary.   "Don't worry,  I'll be back soon."  Joseph kissed Mary's hand and said, "I love you."
  Mary smiled and said."I love you, too.  Go, I'll be fine."
  Joseph began knocking on the nearest doors.  He begged for a place for them to stay, but no one had an empty room.  Desperate he went a little further away and knocked on the doors of relatives and friends.  The answer was the same.  No one had an empty room.  Large groups of people were staying in the small homes available.  Mary needed privacy.  He would not humiliate her.
  Several times Joseph returned to the spot where Mary was sitting to see how she was doing. Mary remained in a state of peace even though the contractions were becoming steady.  Joseph on the other hand, was frantic.  He desperately knocked on every door, begging for a room.  "My Lord, show your servant the way." He prayed over and over.  "Please allow me to keep Mary and Your Son safe.  Please help me."  
 As he walked away from the last inn, a man yelled after him. "Hey, I have a field not far from here.  There is a small area of shelter you could stay.  It's not much, but you would have privacy."
  Joseph quickly went back for Mary.  He was ashamed that this is what he had to offer his wife.  Mary deserved much better.  The Messiah, was going to be born in a field among the sheep.  He had failed his Lord .....and his wife.  Joseph ran as quickly as the crowd would allow him to find Mary still sitting and praying.
  "Mary, forgive me.  I cannot find a single room in this town.  I can only offer us an abandoned shelter in a field just outside of town.  I'm so sorry.  I have failed you."
  Mary looked sweetly at Joseph and said, "Joseph you have not failed.  You have searched and searched for where the Messiah was to be born.  You abandoned yourself to the Will of God, and now we will let Him lead us to this desired spot.  Joseph, pray with me. 'The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.  In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength.  You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.  Even when I walk through dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.  You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come.'
  Together, the holy couple allowed God's Will to guide their steps as they headed for the field. Once they arrived, Joseph searched the area.  He found an area carved out of stone that must have been used as shelter for the animals.  Joseph found some materials to start a fire.  Night had already fallen,  it was dark and soon would be cold.  As Joseph started the fire, Mary knelt down and praised God.  This would be the holy place where the Messiah would be born.  Once the fire was started, they could see around the shelter and they began to prepare an area for Mary to lay down.  Mary spotted a manger and asked Joseph to clean it well so that they would have a bed for the baby to lie in.  Exhausted but filled with joy,  Mary allowed herself to rest in the area they had prepared.
  Together, Mary and Joseph prayed and praised God.  As they prayed a brilliant light filled the room, angels could be heard singing, and they were wrapped up in ecstatic prayer.  It was in these moments of perfect love and union with God, that the Savior of the World was born.  
  Mary wrapped her new born son in swaddling clothes and held Him close to her body for warmth.  As she gazed at the beautiful face of Jesus, tears of joy slid down her face.  Her heart filled with love like she had never experienced before.  For so long, she had prayed for this moment, and now that it was here, it was more glorious than she could have ever imagined. 
   God became man!  The thought was pure joy, and the reality was a love so great and encompassing, that the earth would celebrate this moment until the end of time.  Mary and Joseph allowed God to wrap them in His love and glory, and together they prayed that people everywhere would open their hearts wide to God, so that Jesus could fill them with His love as well.




-Susan