Monday, December 19, 2016

The Road Less Traveled- Ninth Edition

(This fictional Advent story begins on post November 28.)


  Mary woke up to two round, beautiful brown eyes looking at her.  "Good morning, Mary!  I slept by you last night!" Sarah announced.
  "I know.  I woke up and you were curled up right next to me," Mary said with a smile.
  "Joseph went to get your donkey ready.  Don't go, Mary.  Please stay." Sarah pleaded as she held Mary's hand.
  "Sarah, I wished I could stay with you, but we have to get to Bethlehem soon.  I'm not as fast as Joseph right now, because the baby is getting bigger.  I'm actually pretty slow."
  "But I'm going to miss you!"
  Mary took Sarah into her arms and gave her a hug.  "Sarah, I have something for you."  Mary slipped a beaded bracelet off her wrist.  "This is a very special bracelet that my mother gave me when I was about your age.  She told me to remember that the Lord gave me two hands to pray with and two hands to help others.  I want you to have it, and that way we will always be connected through our prayers."
  Sarah's smile grew wide across her face as Mary slipped the bracelet onto her.  "I love it! I'm going to show Mama!"
  Mary slowly stood up and tried to stretch her aching back as much as she was able.  As she placed her hands on her stomach, she felt a little kick.  "Good morning, my sweet son, are you ready for another day of traveling?" she whispered.  Mary felt a heavier pressure in her back today.  She wondered how much time was left before her precious son would be born.
  Mary found Joseph outside by the donkey.  Joseph smiled as Mary approached and said, "Are you ready to get going?  I think we will be close to Jerusalem by the end of the day.  I have a good friend who lives a two hour walk from Jerusalem.  The next part of the terrain will be much more difficult.  How are you feeling?  Is it okay for us to continue?"
  "Don't worry about me, I am ready to travel again."
  Mary and Joseph went back inside to say goodbye to the family and thank them for allowing them to stay.  The children all gave Mary a hug and promised they would remember what she had taught them yesterday.  Sarah held onto Mary.  "I don't want you to go."
   "Sarah, I will pray that the Lord will always bless you and your family.  Will you pray for me as well?"
  "Yes.  Every time I look at these beads," she pointed to her new bracelet, "I will pray for you and your baby."  Mary and Sarah hugged one last time before Joseph helped Mary onto the donkey and they continued their journey.
  Today's traveling was definitely more difficult for Mary. Joseph's worries began to grow.  Mary was growing tired much faster today.  Joseph recognized Mary's need to stop and rest more often today. As the day progressed, Joseph wondered if they would even be able to make it to his friend's house today.
  As dusk approached, Joseph saw the familiar house in the distant. "Mary, we are almost there!  I can't wait for you to meet Simon.  We have been friends for many years now.  I think you will enjoy his company.  He has been married for a few years.  His wife has always been very kind."
  Joseph walked confidently towards the door with Mary at his side.  Simon opened the door and instantly smiled when he saw Joseph.  "Joseph, my good friend, I am so happy to see you!  This is a wonderful surprise," he said as he threw his arms around Joseph.  Then Simon smiled at Mary and looked at Joseph with a raised eyebrow.
  "Simon, I would like to introduce you to my wife, Mary," Joseph declared proudly.
  "Welcome to my home, Mary!  Joseph is my dear friend and I am happy he has found himself a wife.  Is she from a good family Joseph?"
  Joseph smiled and said, "The Lord has blessed me with a very good woman and soon to be mother.  I believe there is no man who feels more blessed than I."
  "You must both be tired.  Please come sit down and let's catch up on each other's lives. I, too, have a surprise to share." Simon quickly left the room and came back with his wife, Joanna.  "We are expecting our first child as well!  Let us all celebrate the blessings we have received this year!"
  Mary helped Joanna prepare a meal for everyone, while Joseph and Simon continued to enjoy each other's company.  Throughout dinner, Simon described the number of people traveling towards Jerusalem.  "The city is very crowded right now.  People are very upset with this whole census idea.  Herod has secret police everywhere reporting to him.  Be very careful, Joseph.  Herod has a temper and has been known to act completely irrational.  Also, keep in mind that the street thieves are out in greater numbers right now.  They are targeting all of the travelers."  Joseph nodded as he took in Simon's advice.  "Joseph, be careful in Bethlehem as well.  I have heard even the streets there are crowded."
  Joseph kept an eye on Mary throughout dinner.  She looked very tired and uncomfortable.  When the meal was over, Joseph insisted Mary lay down and rest.  Joseph did his best to make Mary comfortable.  Her feet and ankles looked swollen.  "Mary perhaps I should leave you here and travel to Bethlehem myself.  I am very worried.  How are you and the baby?  Are you feeling any signs yet?"
  "Joseph, I am just very tired.  I do not wish to be apart from you on this journey.  The baby and I just need to rest for the night.  Do not worry, we are fine.  Go and enjoy some time with Simon.  Please, allow me to turn in early tonight. I just need a good night of sleep."  Mary then closed her eyes and quickly drifted off to sleep.