Monday, November 28, 2016

The Road Less Traveled



  "Mary, please lay down and rest for awhile before we begin our trip.  I'm worried about you and the baby.  The trip will be very hard on you.  Are you sure we are doing the right thing?  Bethlehem is going to take at least four days of continuos walking.  I'm just not sure...," Joseph stopped mid sentence as he shook his head.  He was very worried about Mary and about the baby.  Everyone said she looked as if it could be very soon.  The last thing he wanted to do was a long trip to Bethlehem.  What if Mary went into labor somewhere along the road?  What if he was the only one to help deliver the baby?  Of course their neighbor Leah had explained to Joseph in detail yesterday what he should do, but honestly, he wasn't sure if he could do it.  Why would the Romans insist on this decree right before the baby was to be born?
  "Joseph, please, do not worry.  I will rest as you have suggested.  We will put our trust in God.  Everything will work according to His Plan.  The Messiah will come at God's desired time," Mary smiled lovingly at Joseph.  Her radiance took Joseph's breath away along with his worries. "Remember, Joseph, The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack, " again Mary smiled a she gestured at Joseph to pray with her.
  Together they prayed in unison, "In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength.  You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.  Even when I walk through dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.  You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You annoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come."
  Mary looked at Joseph and then towards the future and said, "Let each of us pray for God's strength and His mercy as we begin this journey together."

(to be continued..)

-Susan