Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (Chapter 6)

click here to read chapter one




  We paddled towards a small sandy beach tucked between two large rock formations.  As we got close, I offered to jump out and guide the canoe up on shore.  Jumping into the thigh-high water felt refreshing.  I secured the canoe as Jesus found a perfect spot to sit on two rocks covered in shade.  Jesus pulled out two good size deli sandwiches from his bag.  They looked delicious.
  "Wow!  I hope those taste as good as they look!" I exclaimed.
  Jesus handed me one saying, "Wait until you try it.  You're going to love it!  I picked them up at a deli on the east side.  The owners are really great people!"
  I took a big bite.  "Oh my gosh, this is amazing!  It's like all my favorites in one sandwich.  How did you know I liked..."  I didn't bother to finish my sentence when I glanced up and saw Jesus smiling at me.  "Of course, you know what I like."  I managed to mumble before I devoured the sandwich.  I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I took that first bite.  Within minutes my sandwich was gone and then Jesus handed me another deli bag with two soft baked chocolate chip cookies.
  "This is way better than the lunch I had packed for myself!" I confessed.  
  "Good, I'm glad you're enjoying it!  I like to see you happy!  You were starting to look a little stressed out while we were fishing."
  "Ya, I think I was starting to freak out a little.  I'm not really sure what you want me to do.  You asked me earlier today if I meant everything I said when I prayed.  I started thinking about the "Our Father".  I got as far as "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."  I have to admit I have no idea what your Will is for me.  I mean don't get me wrong,  I really want to do your Will, but how do I know what that is?"
  Jesus put his sandwich down and said,  "That's why prayer is so important.  I can't reveal My Will to you if you're not listening.  We need to spend time together.  The more time we spend together the more likely you will be to understand those soft yearnings tugging at your heart and mind to carry out certain actions or decisions."
  "I'm not sure I understand."
  "You need to look inside yourself because that is where I dwell.  I am love and your life should be a reflection of my love."
  "How do I reflect your love?"
  "You reflect my love when you put the needs of others before your own.  When you remember to forgive and to let go of your anger.  I would like you to try to be open to council from those I place in you life, and get to know me by opening scripture.   Live each day trusting me and allowing me to lead, especially when your footing seems unstable and you can't see the way.   And there will be times  I will need you to accept the mystery of suffering so that you can recognize and embrace the sufferings of others.  "Thy will be done" can at times be the hardest and most difficult prayer to say, but it is also the prayer with the sweetest of all rewards."
  I looked at Jesus and I wasn't sure what to say or ask next.  "Jesus, I'm just going to be honest with you.  I'm going to need a few minutes to absorb all this.  Would it be alright if I just sat here with you and thought about all this?"
  Jesus nodded his head and smiled.  "I would love to spend a few quiet moments together.  That's what prayer is all about."

(to be continued)