Thursday, February 11, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (chapter 1)





  It was early in the morning when I headed towards the lake.  The sun was just beginning to wake up and splashed a pale pink hue to the puffy white clouds.  I was eager to place the canoe into the water and begin my journey.  I put my life jacket on, turned the canoe over and dragged it to the water's edge.  I was just about to push off with my oar when I heard a friendly voice address me.
  "Good morning!  Would you mind if I joined you?"
  I turned to look over my shoulder and then I froze like a statue.  I attempted to speak, but apparently all intelligent words had escaped from my brain.  "Are you.....um....and your talking to me......am I sleeping...or maybe dreaming?  Did I just die?"
  Jesus started laughing.  "You look pretty alive to me.  I was wondering if we could spend some time together today?  I brought my fishing pole."
  "You're not going to fill my canoe with so many fish that I'll have to get help are you?"
  Jesus started laughing again. 
 "You are quite amusing today.  I was really just thinking we could spend some time talking.  I promise not to fill the boat with fish.  So are you up for some company?"
  I nodded and said, "Sure, that would be great. But I have to warn you I'm not very good at fishing."
  "That's ok, I seem to have a real knack for it."  Jesus stepped into the canoe, stepping over my seat, and headed towards the front.  As he sat down he reached over and picked up the other paddle.  "Ready when you are."
  I placed my oar into the water and sand and pushed off.  I instinctively started paddling as the canoe glided across the lake's surface.  Lake Powell is always stunningly beautiful.  I first discovered it on vacation a few years back and it was one of the main reasons I transferred jobs and moved to Arizona.  "So, where would you like to go?  Feel free to set the pace and I'll just follow your lead."
  Jesus shot me a smile as he looked over his shoulder and said, "Wow, do you know how long I have waited to hear you say that?"
  I was taken back a bit by the comment.  "What do you mean?"
  Jesus raised His eyebrows a little and gave a little grin. "Well how often do you let go of the reigns and let me be in control?"
  I gave Jesus a very puzzled look.  What exactly was He saying?  "Well of course you are in control. You are in control of the whole world."
  "Am I?  Think about it for a minute."
  I let out a sigh.  Thinking was the last thing I wanted to do today.   I had the whole day planned out.  I had intended to spend the day relaxing and doing what I wanted....oh, I see where this was going...."Ok I am a bit of a control freak.  I like being in charge.  What's so wrong with having a plan?"
  "I didn't say there was anything wrong with having a plan.  I have a plan, too.  Have you ever considered if they were the same?"
  "How am I supposed to know your plan?"
  "Well you could talk to me about it."
  "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is the first time you have ever talked to me."
  Jesus turned completely around and very calmly and gently said, "I talk to you all the time.  This is the first time you listened.  You are a very busy person.  It's hard to talk to someone who isn't listening."
  "I never heard your voice."
  "I know.  You never take the time to listen."
  For a few minutes I just sat there trying to understand.  I prayed every day.  Ever since I was a young boy,  I have prayed those three prayers--I have them memorized.  I recite those prayers every day-
  "I know you recite those prayers every day.  You know them so well you hardly have to put any thought into it.  I would love for you to put some thought into your prayer.  It would be so much more meaningful for both of us."
  "What do you mean?  I thought the Our Father would be one of your favorites."
  "Oh, it definitely is.  Do you mean everything you say in that prayer?"
  "I don't know.  I never really thought about it."
  "That's exactly what I'm talking about.  I don't want to just hear you recite words.  I want the words to be actively living inside your thoughts, feelings and actions.  The Our Father isn't a noun.  It's not the name of a prayer, it is a way of life.  It is actively seeking out your heavenly Father and asking for His help.  When you pray the Our Father ask yourself this- is this really how I lived my life today?"  Jesus turned back around and started paddling again.  "Ready to follow my lead?  I know of a great place not far from here."
  I nodded my head and said, "Yes, I'm ready."  I wondered where he would take me.

(to be continued....)