Saturday, February 13, 2016

Courageous for Christ

  One of the things I love about Lent is that our church offers "Children's Liturgy of the Word".  Every year I volunteer to be a part of this great program for kids in grades 1-6.  During mass we invite the kids to gather in our own area as we read and discuss the gospel.  I really enjoy helping them to understand the meaning and relevancy of the gospel.
  I remember setting up before mass one year and my kids volunteered to help.  As we were putting things in place my son looked at me and said, "So what if you're not good at this like you were last year?  What if no one listens to you?  What if you forget what your going to say?  This could be bad."
  I looked at him and said, "Well,  I think you've helped me enough now.  Why don't you go save us some seats in church."
  I can laugh about this story now, but at the time it was the last thing I need to hear.  I think it's pretty natural to be a little afraid or nervous to share the gospel with others in any setting.  Many of us really want to actively serve and follow Jesus, but there may be an annoying voice of doubt in our heads telling us that someone else could do it better or we might screw it up and embarrass ourselves.  That may be true, but you'll never know if you don't try.  I like to remember a quote by Blessed Mother Teresa when I'm feeling unsure.  She said, "God never said you had to succeed, He only said you had to try."  I think this is a good quote to keep in mind this Lent.  Let's all be courageous for Christ!  Take a chance, get out of your comfort zone, and spread the gospel.  It may be exactly what someone needs to hear.

--Susan