Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (Chapter 3)

 click here to read chapter one


  Jesus reached down and picked up the two fishing poles.  They were very simple poles without any fancy casters or lures.  I wondered if we would have any luck with these outdated rods.  After about twenty minutes my suspicions seemed accurate.  I hadn't even had a nibble.
  "This doesn't seem to be working.  Do you want to try a new spot?" I asked Jesus.
  "No, this is really where I think we should be."  Jesus answered confidently.
  "Ok, I just thought we might have more success somewhere else."
  "You know, you put your line in hoping for an instant reward.  I desire you to put your line into the water to discover something more.  People are always so focused on winning and success. I see things a lot differently.  Let me ask you this, what exactly do you think we are fishing for right now?"
  I wiped the sweat of my forehead and shrugged my shoulders, "I thought we were trying to catch a smallmouth bass or walleye.  To be honest, I told you I wasn't very good at fishing."
  Jesus looked amused and said, "You're right.  I do recall you mentioned that. I thought today we be a good day to fish for some truths. Are you interested?"
  "Yeah, but I still don't know if I would be very good at it."
  "Let's just give it a try and see what happens."
  "Alright."  I thought for a minute as I moved my fishing line to a new spot.  "Can I ask you a question then?" 
  "Sure, what's on your mind?"
  "How come you don't always answer my prayers?"
  "You may not realize it, but I have answered all your prayers. My answering prayers is so much more than just fulfilling a request. When I gaze upon you and listen to your prayers I see things that you could never imagine.  I see your good and bad intentions.  I know your thoughts, your motivations, and your inner desires.  I know your fears and your pain.  Sometimes you pray and wish for things that contradict My plan for you.  I don't quantitate success and failure the same way you do.  I am often more concerned with your spiritual and personal growth.  I just need you to trust me.  You could be so much more than you ever imagined if you just let me guide you."
  "I don't understand."
  Jesus nodded his head.  "I know and you are not alone.  Most want their prayers answered immediately and few people recognize the importance of waiting.  I always want what is best for you and sometimes I need you to temper your desires and impatience.  Sometimes I need you to look past your own wants so that you notice the needs of those around you.  Your spiritual life could grow by leaps and bounds during those times of waiting if you would just trust me, continue to pray and stay close to my heart.  Can I tell you why prayer is so important?"

(to be continued)