Thursday, February 18, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (Chapter 2)

Click here to read chapter one

  Together we paddled a strong, steady pace towards deeper water.  As we paddled I let Jesus' questions consume my thoughts.  Do I mean everything I say when I pray?  The answer to that should obviously be "yes", but if I am really being honest, I don't really know the answer to that question.  Embarrassingly, I really don't put as much thought into my prayers as I should.  I know praying is important, but unless I'm going through some kind of crisis, I guess I just say them in order to check them of my "To Do List" each day.  I began to really think about the "Our Father".  "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name". Well I know for sure I meant that line.  I make a point of never using God's name in vain.  I take that very seriously.  "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."  Honestly, I have no idea what God's Will is for me.  How can I do His Will if I don't even know what it is?
  Just then a strong breeze blew across the lake.  I followed Jesus' lead and I stopped paddling.  The breeze felt so refreshing on my  sun soaked face.  I saw Jesus tilt his head up, close his eyes, and smile.  I did the same.  As the breeze blew through me, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace.  I took a few slow, deep breaths and allowed my body and mind to completely relax.  I heard the softest of sounds around me as the boat gently drifted forward.  It was if I could feel the beauty of life all around me.  If it were possible I would have stayed in that moment for the rest of my days.
  I had no idea how much time had passed when I heard His Voice gently touch my thoughts.  "That was the best praying you have done in a long time."
  His words surprised me.  I opened my eyes and asked Jesus, "What do you mean?  I never said a word."
  "Just placing yourself in My Presence is a beautiful prayer.  You heard My voice this time."
  My smile grew wide as I exclaimed,  "You're right I did!"
  "Ready to do some fishing?"

(to be continued)