Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (Chapter 8)

  



  "Are you up to going for a walk?" Jesus asked me.  "The canyon is really beautiful just passed the bend."
  "Yes, I would love to see that!  That's one of the reasons I love coming out here.  It seems like there is always something amazing to see no matter what direction you look."  As we walked I soaked in the beauty that was all around us.  The cliffs on both sides caused the path to narrow as we walked alongside a small creek and then the path surprisingly opened up to a breath-taking cove with a magnificent waterfall.
  "Wow!  This is incredible!  I never even knew this was here!" I exclaimed.
  "Well, unless you share it, this is a pretty well kept secret.  Most people pass by the beach where we ate lunch so they never see this."
  As we walked around the cove I was completely amazed.  I was really enjoying being with Jesus.  It was as if I was suddenly seeing everything in a different light.  As we continued to walk my thoughts drifted back to Jesus' question-Could I teach others to pray?  I had no idea how I would go about this.  Where would I even start? Why would anyone listen to me?
  "Careful you don't trip," Jesus warned.
  I looked down at the path and I saw nothing in my way.  "What do you see that I don't?" I asked puzzled.
  "Don't let your fears trip you up.  It's a lot easier to find excuses than it is to muster a little courage," revealed Jesus.  "I thought you were going to trust me," Jesus said with a smile.
  "I am.  I'm sorry,  I didn't mean to slip back into my old habits.  So...you want me to help others to pray, how would you like me to go about that?"
  "It's simpler than you think.  First, I want you to start with yourself.  Devote some time to prayer.  Really get to know me.  I have so much I want to share with you.  Little by little I will reveal truths to you and your faith will grow stronger.  Close your eyes to the ways of the world and just feel my presence inside you.  Then when you open your eyes you will see the world through my eyes and not your own.  The beauty of this waterfall pales in comparison to the beauty of a soul that trusts in my loving mercy.  As I extend my mercy to you then you must extend it to others."
  "Who do you want me to share this knowledge of prayer with?"
  "I want you to start very slow.  Begin by praying for those around you.  As you pray for others your eyes will be opened to their needs. Do what you can to help them.  They will be touched by your example, and will want to do the same."
  "Should I tell them I'm praying for them?" I asked.  "I don't usually tell people 'I'll pray for you'.  It seems a little awkward."
  "Well, I'll leave that up to you, but most people like to know that you care enough to offer prayers for them."
  "What should I say?"
  "Tell people that you will pray that God will help them.  I want people to know that I will always love them, especially when things are difficult.  Tell them to always turn to me and not to turn away. So many people turn away from me when they encounter problems and that makes their burden even more difficult. Every child needs to be directed through a storm or else the storm will consume them. Encourage them to trust me and pray that they, too, will hear my voice and allow me to guide them." 
  I took a deep breath in and then slowly let it out.  I felt a refreshing breeze blow through me as I did my best to understand and remember everything Jesus had just told me.  "So what should I do next?"
  "Exactly what you did today.  Follow my lead.  I am the Way the Truth and the Light.  Trust me and look around you.  Notice who I put in your path.  Pray with your heart and listen for my voice."
  "Jesus, I'm starting to think I really could do this."
  "I always knew you could."
  "And you will always be there for me?"
  Jesus smiled and promised, "Always....Are you ready to begin?"

(This story stops here, but it will continue when you discover that this story was about you, and Jesus would like you to follow His lead.  Are you ready to begin?")

-Susan