Thursday, March 3, 2016

I'll Just Follow Your Lead (Chapter 4)

  Jesus took His fishing pole out of the water and set it in the canoe.  Then I felt His hands wrap firmly around my hands as I held the fishing pole.  "Prayer is so important because prayer is the light of the soul.  Without it, a soul struggles.  Darkness is only attractive when one has never walked in Light.  My Mercy and My love enrich and expound a soul in ways you can not comprehend.  Once a soul glimpses even a small ray of Light, it despises sin and desires the beauty of Light above all else.  With each prayer a soul slowly walks towards Me and begins to understand and perceive Me.  Prayer is the bridge that links creature with Creator.  Without prayer the ravine is steep and dangerous and people will walk the path and never feel the downward slope until they reach the bottom.  As a soul reaches the bottom of the ravine,  My Light is overshadowed by the darkness and a soul will look around and not even realize it is lost.  It will be lost in it's own desires and will no longer yearn for Me."
  "Is there no hope than for a soul that has stopped praying?" I asked.
  "There is always hope.  Patiently, I wait for each and every soul to turn even slightly towards Me so that I may call out their name and pour my grace upon them.  Prayer opens the ears of a soul to hear My Voice.  That is why it is so important to teach a child to pray.  That way if later in life,  a soul begins to walk down the ravine, their ears will still hear My Voice, their eyes will recognize My Light and embrace My Love." Jesus relaxed his hands and then balanced them on the side of the canoe.  For a moment he sat quietly and looked off into the distance.  As we sat in silence a gentle breeze blew through me and I tried to grasp this new incite into prayer.  Jesus then turned his gaze back towards me and said,  "I would like you to do something for me."
  Hesitantly, I asked "What?"
  "I would like you to teach others to pray so that their ears will be reawakened to the sound of My Voice."
  "Me?  Why would you want me?"
  "Because I like fishing with you," revealed Jesus with a grin.
  "There must be thousands of people more qualified than me," I said completely confounded.
  "Perhaps... but I have chosen you," declared Jesus completely confident and comfortable with his choice.
  I actually couldn't stop shaking my head.  It made no sense to me whatsoever. I took my pole out of the water and admitted, "Jesus, I hadn't even realized how little I really knew about prayer until today.  How could I possible teach others?"
  Jesus looked at me and asked,  "When we were fishing and I placed my hand on yours, how did you feel?"
  "It was as if I could feel the strength of your love.  Your words penetrated not just my mind, but it felt as if they were being etched onto my heart."
  "That is how it feels when deaf ears are reopened.  Now that you are listening,  I can share even more with you and what I share with you, I would like you to share with others.  Will you do that?"
  I have to admit I was scared.  "There's no way I could do this by myself.  Will you help me?" I asked.
  "I will never remove the touch of my loving hand."
  I closed my eyes and remembered how I felt when Jesus placed his hand on mine.  My heart had felt like it was on fire and as I drew in deep breaths of air,  my lungs seemed to expand with life itself.  I had no idea what I was getting into, but I suddenly wanted this more than anything else I have ever wanted.  As I opened my eyes to give Jesus my answer, I realized that now my eyes truly were opened.
   "Okay, let's keep fishing then, I have a lot to learn."  We both picked up our poles and threw our lines back into the water.  I looked at Jesus, shook my head, and then started laughing.
  "You realize I am not the smartest, right?"
  Jesus started laughing, too, and said, "I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about." 

(to be continued)