Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Open House

  It's that time of year again.  The kids have all returned to school and the principals have invited all the parents to come to "Open House".  Anxious and eager to meet the new teachers and agendas, the parents file into the classroom and awkwardly sit at child size desk and chairs.  After all, your child's education is very important and we parents all want to be informed of this year's expectations and rules.
  This got me to thinking......what if God held an "Open House" for everyone to attend each year.  Would you go?  Do you think it is important to understand and cooperate with God's expectations for you this year?  I wonder if it would go something like this....

  "Hello, welcome everyone, and truly I mean that, I am God and I will be your teacher.  My experience is vast.  I have been creating since the beginning of time and am often referred to as "The Creator."  I absolutely love people and I go out of my way to find ways to educate and inform everyone on what is most essential to living a rewarding life.  I approach every class with a team approach.  My team includes Myself, my Son Jesus, and of course the Holy Spirit.  I am a strong believer in "do overs".  If you run into a problem or make any mistakes, please come tell me about it and I would be happy to suggest ways to amend the situation.  Everyone makes mistakes.  I rather like the saying, "To error is human, to forgive is Divine."  You will find I am a very good listener, so before I go any further, I would like to open the floor to questions.
  A young man in his early twenties quickly raises his hand.  "Yes, Kyle what is your question?"
  "Can you tell me if there is any required reading this year?"
  "Well, Kyle, I am very fond of the Bible.  I feel as if these inspired writings are an absolute goldmine.  Of course you can never go wrong if you would like to dive deep into the books called Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  A lot of miraculous events occurred in these books revealing some very deep truths about unconditional love and the road to eternity.  Outside the bible there are a multitude of devotional, spiritual, and saintly books I would be happy to recommend.  Please see my after the talk. "
  " Okay, let's try another question.  Lucy, I see your hand is up.  What's on your mind?"
  "Yes, what main objective will we be focusing on this year?"
  "I'm going to let my son, Jesus, field that one."
  Jesus steps forward with a warm smile.  "If you focus on but two core truths I know you will do really well this year.  The first, Love God with all your heart, all your mind and all your soul and secondly, love your neighbor as yourself. "
  Next question, way in the back,  "Lou, what's your question?"
  "Yes, what is your availability if I need help and do you have any tutors you would recommend?"
  "Lou, I am available 24/7.  I never sleep.  I will always take your call.  As far as a tutor or helper or should we say adovate, I would recommend you turn to the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit, you will find, is quite gifted.  He is always eager to share His wisdom, knowledge, understanding, courage, reverence, and right judgement with you.  You can't help but be in Wonder and Awe about everything He does."
  "I think we have time for one more question.  Cindy your hand has been waving around excitedly."
  "Yes, can you tell me if there will be any opportunities for extra credit?"
  "Cindy that's a good question because I really like when people go beyond just the required expectations.  I would like you to show mercy and love to everyone you encounter.  Nothing would make me happier if you would go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
  "Thank you everyone for coming tonight.  Active participation in my class is a must.  I am looking forward to talking more with each and every one of you.  My invitation is always open.  Please know that I truly want to help, guide and love you.  As you leave tonight, please take Our peace with you."

-Susan