Monday, September 7, 2015

New Game Plan

  It was one of those hot, end of the summer days.  The new football season was fast approaching.  Coach Graham was feeling very confident again this year.  Sure, he had lost some of his key players from last year, but the returning players were demonstrating some remarkable skill.  Coach Graham wiped the sweat off his forehead as he called everyone in for the last huddle.  Even in this heat, the team demonstrated hustle and enthusiasm.  Coach Graham thought to himself, “Yes, this is going to be a good year.”
  “Excellent job today everyone!  We’re going to end a little early today, on account of this heat,” exclaimed Coach Graham.  Everyone grabbed their water bottles as Coach Graham headed towards the bench.  This heat was really affecting him today and he needed to sit down for a minute.
  “Coach Graham I couldn’t help but notice how good the team looks this year,” said a tall, slender middle-aged man.  “I just moved into town and I have a son that would love to join the team.”
  “Is he any good?”  asked Coach Graham.
  “He averaged almost 100 yards rushing most games last season.”
  “Is that right?  Well tell the boy to come on out.  We practice again tomorrow morning 9 am sharp.”
  “Tomorrow’s Sunday.  Are Sunday practices required?”
  “Sir, I understand your new to the area but around here football is huge.  I’ve lead this team to state finals 3 out of the past 5 years.  You don’t get that good without a lot of practice.”
  “Well I believe in discipline as much as the next person, but I feel it’s very important for my family to attend mass on Sundays.”
  “I’m not much of a church going man myself.  I gave that up years ago.  Sunday practices are mandatory if you want to be on my team.”
  “Well that certainly is something I need to think about.  Coach can I ask you something?  How many of these boys play football in college?”
  “I’m proud to say that each year I have a couple.”
  “Anyone ever make it really big?” inquired the man.
  “Not yet, I’m still waiting,”  Coach Graham said with a smile.
  “What do most of the boys do after high school?”
  “I have no idea.  I can’t possibly keep track of all of them.  I’m their coach not their parent.”
  “I hear you.  So you have no idea what effect missing mass for so many years has on them later on then, do you?”
  “What?  Are you serious right now?”  the coach said shaking his head.
  “Yes, I am.  I happen to know that some of these boy’s spiritual lives are really starting to suffer.  And that star quarterback you have is about to enter some challenging years.  He’s going to need his faith to get through it.”
  Coach Graham had difficulty finishing this conversation.  The last thing he remembered that man saying was, “…do you really want to be held responsible for that many people missing out with their time with God?”
  For the next few minutes Coach Graham couldn’t make sense of anything.  There were voices all around him now, but he couldn’t seem to focus on any one voice.  A few more minutes passed before he felt a hand on his shoulder.  He tried hard to focus on the man’s face. “What’s going on?” he thought.
  “He’s coming around boys.  Coach Graham I’m with the fire department.  We believe you had a heart attack.  We’re going to take you to the hospital now.  Just relax, everything is going to be fine.  Your assistant coach, Eddy is going to ride in the ambulance with you.”
  Coach Graham felt his whole world turn upside down.  A heart attack?  Me?  I’m only 55 years old.  He tried hard to remember how this could have happened.  Let’s see the last thing I remember….that man….yes, I remember talking about….practices…yes, Sunday practices…and then he got all churchy on me.  As the ambulance raced towards the hospital Coach Graham began to vividly remember the whole conversation.  “Hey, Eddie”
  “Yes coach?”
  “Who was that tall man I was talking to on the field just before I collapsed?”
  Eddy looked confused.  “Coach there was no man on the field.  Just you, me, and the players.  You collapsed right after the huddle.”
  “Are you sure?”  the coach asked quietly.
  “Yes sir, you gave us all quite a scare.  None of us will be forgetting that anytime soon.”
  “Hmmm…”  Coach Graham thought about the conversation for the rest of the ride.  As the ambulance came to a stop and the back doors opened, Coach Graham reached for Eddie’s arm.  “Eddie do me a favor.  Can you cancel practice tomorrow?  I don’t think I will be having any more Sunday practices.”
  “If you say so Coach.”
  “And Eddy, one more thing.  Can you tell the boys that I think going to church on Sunday is a much better game plan?”
  “You got it coach!” said Eddie.

  
-Susan