Friday, September 11, 2015

Bring the children

Luke  18:15-17  People were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them, and when the disciples saw this, they rebuked them.  Jesus, however, called the children to himself and said, "Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it."

 I like to visibly imagine this scene.  Can you just see Jesus comfortably sitting down with a group of kids all running around him and one even sitting on His lap?  I can just see Jesus smiling and laughing with them, calling them by name and then putting his arm around their shoulder to bring them in closer.  Yes, that's what I envision when I read this verse.

 What I don't envision, though, is Jesus with a group of kids sitting straight and tall and being completely quiet and perfectly well behaved.  I guess that's because my kids are more like the first group- the kids with lots of energy, laughter, and a dislike for being still.  I'm so glad Jesus didn't say, " Just bring me the well behaved children."  Had that been the case, I might have missed out on years of mass. (And let me just take this opportunity to apologize to all those people who have had sat behind me in church over the years. Yes I know we were distracting.)  But to be perfectly honest, I always felt like God wanted my family to come to mass.  At each of my children's baptism, I promised God I would do my best to teach them the faith.  On good days and bad days, I felt this was a promise worth keeping.  Besides, who knew my children better than God?  I don't think He was ever surprised that they couldn't sit still or be quiet for very long when they were younger.

    Sometimes when I am at mass,  I look around and wonder, "Where are all the children?"  I know being a parent is a very challenging job and just getting everyone dressed and ready for church can be exhausting.  Trust me, I've been there.  But I also know that sharing my faith with my kids has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I would just like to encourage and extend an open invitation to all parents and grandparents.  Please bring the children to Jesus, bring them to mass.  It's okay if they're crabby (eventually they grow out of it).  Every child is a unique reflection of God and as we gather around the alter, we need  everyone, because to God each of us is important and necessary, regardless of our age.

-Susan