Monday, September 14, 2015

The Treasure Chest

  It had been about a week after  Granny's funeral when my parents asked the family to gather.  My Granny had left a box of things she wanted the grandchildren to have in remembrance of her.  One by one each of us ten grandchildren were called up by name and given something Granny had felt was valuable and linked with a special memory.  We all laughed and cried with each gift.  Granny was an amazing woman.  She always had a way of making everyone feel special.  I was lost in memories when I heard my Dad call my name, "Jill  this last one is for you."
  I couldn't believe it when my dad pulled out the beautiful wooden treasure box that always sat on Granny's dresser.  Ever since I was a little girl, I would go into her room and stare at that treasure chest.  I always wanted to know what was inside.  So many times I had begged Granny to show me and she would always smile and say, "It's my most valuable treasure, but don't you worry because I'm going to share it with you."
  My heart actually started to race a little as I walked forward.  I was finally going to see Granny's most valuable item and she was leaving it with me.    Everybody watched me as I slowly open the lid of the treasure box.  Inside I saw--nothing.  The box was completely empty.  I felt my heart sink into my stomach.
   I couldn't believe it was empty.  I thought about all those years we spent talking in Granny's room.  The conversations always began with me asking what was inside the box, but then we would just talk and talk about everything.  Remembering all those conversations was more important and definitely more valuable than the beautiful treasure box.  I guess Granny needed whatever was inside the box her last few years.  Maybe she had to sell it to pay for all her medical costs.  Still I couldn't help but wonder what Granny had that was so valuable.
  After a few hours of eating and reminiscing we decided to help my parents clean up.  "Hey do you mind if I use this cardboard box to carry home some of this stuff?" asked my older sister Jeannie.
  "Sure go ahead," yelled my mom.
  Jeannie grabbed the box sideways and carried it over the table.  As she did so a white envelope with my name fell out.  "Hey, Jill, looks like Granny wrote you a letter."
  As I opened the letter obviously written in Granny's impeccable handwriting, I  never thought to stop the tears of love from sliding down my face.


 Dear Jill,
  I left you the treasure chest you always admired.  I told you it held my most valuable treasure and I told you I would share it with you.  You were probably disappointed when you opened the box and it was empty.  Please let me explain.  What I considered to be most valuable in my life was my faith.  Faith isn't anything you can see, it's something that you live and share.  Had I kept my faith locked up in a little box it never would have grown.  The box is empty because I shared it with you, your parents, your brother and sister, your cousins, and everyone I could. 
  I truly loved sitting with you in my room and talking about life, sharing your dreams, and talking about God.  I feel my life has been quite blessed to have had all those moments with you.  My last wish is for you to take my treasure and share it with your future children and grandchildren and everyone you meet.  I have noticed how beautiful your faith is.  Please let it continue to grow and always share it.  Then the little treasure that started with me and was passed on to you will become more valuable than either of us could have ever imagined.  I love you Jilly!  I can't wait until we meet again in heaven and you can tell me all about it.
Love you always,

Granny

-Susan