Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Truly Happy



  Julie slowly walked into the chapel and knelt in front of the Blessed Sacrament.  She loved her moments here.  No matter what was going on her life, here she felt peace.  Lately, however, Julie had felt an overwhelming sadness in her life.  She discovered that when she was faithful to the inspirations of the Holy Spirit she felt great joy,  but there were times when she felt somewhat isolated from her peers.  She had lost interest in the latest fads and television shows, gossiping seemed pointless, and shopping wasn't as fun as it used to be.  So Julie asked the Lord while praying, "Why is it so hard for me to be happy sometimes?  I love our moments together, but then I look around and wonder if I am missing out on things."
  In her heart Julie heard the Lord say, "As long as you have one ear listening to the world, you will never be truly happy."
  Julie tried to understand His words, "What do you mean?"
  "I have been calling you closer, Julie, and when you draw near to me, you are happy. The world has a way of drowning out my voice.  You will not find the Truth in the ways of the world.  I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  You have to choose your path.  My path and that of the world's diverge in different directions.  You cannot move forward towards Me and still try to listen to the world."
  Julie closed her eyes and tried to see both paths, but she couldn't.  She only saw herself walking with the Lord. A smile grew across her face as she opened her eyes and saw the Blessed Sacrament.  "You're right, I can't travel both paths.  I choose You."  As Julie spoke these words, she felt truly happy.

-Susan