Friday, March 3, 2017

Lights, Camera, Action



 "Welcome everyone to the Bob Mackey Show.  Today we are joined by the Holy Spirit.  Now normally ladies and gentleman, the Holy Spirit lives inside our hearts inspiring us to do the Will of God, but today He has agreed to a one-on-one interview.  Holy Spirit I just want to begin by thanking you for speaking to me today."
  "You are welcome, Bob.  I want to thank you for hearing me today.  I have been trying to get a one-on-one interview with you for a long time.  You're a very busy man.  You are constantly making plans, I wish you would just slow down long enough to notice me."
  "Well of course I'm busy.  My job, my family, my friends all demand my attention.  I can't just ignore them."
  "I don't want you to ignore them either.  I just wonder why it's so easy to ignore Me?"
  Bob begins to feel very uncomfortable.  This is not how he expected the interview to go. He looks into the camera and says, "We're going to have to break for a quick commercial." The producer looks annoyed, but follows Bob's lead to go into a commercial break.
  Bob looks at the Holy Spirit, "Hey can you cut me a little slack here?"
  "I will give you all the slack you want, Bob, but that's not the way I want it.  I would prefer that we were closer."
  "You see, that's what I'm talking about.  You are making me look bad.  I'm trying to entertain an audience here, and instead you are making this very personal."
  "Bob, I'm not interested in entertaining people.  I'm interested in loving and inspiring people.  I want to inspire people to live out their faith.  I want to inspire you.  And you're right, this is personal.  It has always been my plan to have a very personal, one-on-one relationship with you."
  Frustrated, Bob begins to rub his forehead.  "I can't do this right now.  I need to focus on my career."
Bob walks off the set and heads towards the control booth.  However, before he reaches the room, the commercial break ends and the camera focuses on the Holy Spirit.
  "Do to spiritual difficulties the remainder of this interview can not be broadcasted.  I ask that you pray for Bob and all those who have placed road blocks in their faith life. I wish---" (a second of static is heard, followed by a previously recorded interview with a famous Hollywood actor.). The Holy Spirit walks off the set. Sadly,  only the faithful few will hear the wish of the Holy Spirit today.

-Susan