Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Surprise Blessing

  


  John checked his watch as he rushed out of his last meeting.  He frowned as he looked at his watch. "I can't believe that meeting ran so long.  I'm never going to make it to dinner on time," he thought to himself.  John was supposed to be meeting his wife and family to celebrate tonight.  Earlier in the day he thought he would make dinner without any problems.  Quickly, he started walking down the busy city streets toward the restaurant.
  John decided to take a short cut through the back side of the park hoping to avoid the crowds and save time.  As he swiftly walked down the cement staircase he noticed a young man sitting along the wall.  The young man just sat there with everything he owned in a garbage bag next to him.  As John walked past him,  he felt a sudden urge to help the man.  John reached into his pocket and pulled out a twenty.  He retraced his steps and said, "Hey, I'd like to treat you to dinner."  He handed the young man the twenty and said, "Have a great night."
   John quickly began walking again towards the restaurant.  Suddenly he heard, "Sir, sir wait!"
  "Oh great," he thought to himself,  "He's going to ask me for more money."  Reluctantly John turned around.
  "Sir, I wanted to ask you for something...."
   "Why did I stop?  I should have kept walking," John thought to himself.
  "I was wondering if you could give me a blessing?" the young man asked.
  John was taken back, "What?"
  "It's my birthday tomorrow, and I wonder if you could bless me?"
  John was stunned for a few seconds and then replied, "Ummm....sure....of course."   John had no idea what to do.  Awkwardly, he lift both hands and placed them on the young man's shoulders.  "Heavenly Father I ask that you send your love upon us today.  Bless this friend and keep him safe all of his days.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ who lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen."
  John had no idea where those words had come from.  As he lifted his hands from the man's shoulder, he noticed the man was smiling.  Not just any smile, but a smile that brightened up his whole appearance.
  "Thank you so much.  I was just sitting there thinking I didn't matter and now I know differently, because God sent down a special angel to bless me on my birthday.  God must really love me!  Thank you!"
  John smiled back and said, "You are welcome.  I hope you enjoy your day."
  "Oh, I will now.  Thanks again!" the man said and then he turned and walked away.
  As John watched the man walk away,  a warm peaceful feeling filled his chest.  He had never stood on a sidewalk and just starting praying with someone.  The idea had never occurred to him before.  He wondered who God had blessed that day.  The young man who thought he didn't matter or the older gentleman who often overlooked what really mattered.  John couldn't believe that he was so busy that God had to send an angel down to remind him that he could pray anywhere.  "Wow!" John thought, "God must really love me!"  And John couldn't help but smile as he continued to walk towards the restaurant.

-Susan