Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Dinner Guest-Part 4


  Martin looked at Jesus and said,  "You may ask me anything you like."
  "You have children, Martin?"  Jesus asked.
  "Yes, I have 3 boys," Martin replied.
  "And would you say you have done your best to teach them right from wrong?"
  "I like to think so."
  "Martin, what if one of your children, despite all your teachings and all the love you gave him, made poor choices and often hurt those around him.  What would you do with that son?" Jesus asked.
  "Well I would sit down and talk with him.  I would explain that his actions were wrong and that he was hurting others and not living according to God's laws."
  "Would you agree that everyone would benefit if you could help this one son change his ways?"
  "Of course."
  "Martin, you are a good man and a loving father.  God is also a loving father.  He has asked me to share His great love with all of His children.  He has asked me to proclaim the good news to all and to seek those who are lost.  I know you were wondering why I would eat dinner with Zacchaeus?  Zacchaeus had lost his way.  He needed to know that his Heavenly Father loves him, and wants him to be faithful."
  Zacchaeus looked at Jesus and said, "I do want to be faithful.  I want to make up for my past mistakes.  I see now how wrong I was."  Zacchaeus lowered his head with shame.  When he looked up again, he looked at Martin and said, "Martin I have wronged you and your family, and many of the families in town.  I beg you to forgive me and give me another chance."
  Martin could hardly believe this was the same man who had cheated him for so many years.  He was even more surprised when a voice from deep within his chest answered, "I forgive you Zacchaeus."
  Jesus smiled and hugged Martin.  "I know that wasn't easy for you Martin.  You have made me so happy."  As Jesus embraced Martin, he experienced a love that he had never felt before.  He felt completely loved, completely at peace, and completely happy.  Nothing in his life could compare to this embrace, and it felt completely natural when Jesus let go with one arm in order to include Zacchaeus  as well. 

(to be continued...)