Friday, March 17, 2017

The Dinner Guest, Part 3



  Martin walked with purpose towards Zacchaeus' house.  He was nervous and unsure.  What questions should he ask this holy teacher?  Should he even talk at all?  What if this was just a hoax?  Martin stopped for a moment just before Zacchaeus' house to control his nerves.  He reminded himself to slow down his breathing and just try to relax. After a few minutes Martin continued the last few steps to Zacchaeus' house and then knocked loudly on the door.  
  "Martin!" exclaimed Zacchaeus,  "I'm so glad you decided to come!  Please come in! Jesus, this is the dinner guest I was telling you about."
  A man in his early thirties stood up and approached Martin.  He reached out his hand and smiled, "Martin it a pleasure to have you join us tonight.  Hello, I am Jesus."
  Martin shook Jesus' hand and suddenly began to feel at ease.  The three men walked towards a table that had an impressive display of fruits, nuts and wine.  "Please Martin allow me to introduce you to some of my friends that I travel with.  This is Peter, Matthew, John, and James."  Martin reached out to shake each of their hands and then sat down.  Almost immediately, Zacchaeus' servant came to the table with a glass for Martin.
  "Mark get a glass for yourself and join us,"Jesus said.
  "Jesus, he is my servant.  If he sits down who will serve the meal?" Zacchaeus asked.
  "Zacchaeus we will serve each other.  Zacchaeus you see Mark as a servant, but I see something much more.  I would enjoy having Mark share dinner with us tonight."
  Zacchaeus uncomfortably nodded at Mark to join them.  Mark was his very best servant, but he had never shared a meal with him.   Jesus seemed to share his love with everyone.  He obviously didn't care about the social norms of the day.  If he did, he probably would not be here at Zacchaeus' house in the first place.
  "Martin, Zacchaeus has told me they he is trying to make amends with you.  How is that going?"
  Martin looked at Jesus.  There was something so different about this man.  For some reason Martin felt as if he could tell Jesus anything.  "Well to be perfectly honest, I was quite surprised.  I really don't know what to think about this.  For years Zacchaeus has collected the taxes for the Romans--too much taxes in my opinion, and today he showed up at my house with a sack of money he wished to return.  Please sir, tell me if this is a test.  I wish no harm to come to my wife and family."
  Zacchaeus let out a long sigh.  "Jesus I am trying to change my ways.  I'm afraid no one will believe me.  Perhaps I am a lost cause."
  "Fortunately for you Zacchaeus I search out the lost," Jesus responded with a laugh.  "Martin I introduced you to some of my friends earlier.  Matthew, tell Martin and Zacchaeus what you did for a living before you started preaching the good news with me."
  Matthew threw a grape in his mouth and then nodded his head as he said, "I used to be a tax collector.  The person everyone loved to hate.  And then one day Jesus looked at me and said, 'Follow me,' and I got up and left that world behind.  That was the day that my whole life changed."
  Zacchaeus smiled, "That is what I want as well.  I want to change my life. When you called my name,  I felt something inside me change.  It was as if I was seeing my life clearly for the first time."
  Martin saw the others all nod their heads in agreement as they said they had felt that way as well.  Jesus looked at Martin and said, "Martin I know what you are thinking.  Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

(to be continued...)