Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Dinner Guest



  Martin had just returned home from the fields when he heard a knock at the door.  Cautiously, his wife Abigail peeked out the window.  She looked at Martin and shook her head "no."  "It's Zacchaeus," she whispered.  Martin remained perfectly still as he heard Zacchaeus continue to knock.
  "Martin, I know you are in there.  I saw you return.  Open the door," insisted Zacchaeus.
  "Go away, Zacchaeus.  You took all our money yesterday.  I have nothing left to give you," replied Martin.
  "Martin, your right.  I took your money yesterday, and well....I think I may have taken too much.  I would like to repay you," admitted Zacchaeus.
  Martin scowled.  "Is this some new tactic you are trying?  I have nothing to give you."
  "Please Martin, open this door.  I speak the truth."
  "Since when do you return money or speak the truth?" asked Martin.
  "Well since....since today.  I have promised Jesus to repay those I have cheated."
  "I have heard of this Jesus," whispered Abigail as she stepped closer.  "He is a very holy teacher.  He has been healing many of the townspeople.  He has even forgiven people of their sins."
  "No man can forgive people's sins," replied Martin.
  "Martin, it's true.  He says 'Your sins are forgiven' and then people are healed.  You know the blind beggar that sits in front of the temple?"
  "Of course."
  "They say he is not blind anymore.  He has been healed by this Jesus," revealed Abigail.
  Just then Zacchaeus pushed open the door.  "Martin, here, this is for you."  He handed Martin a bag of coins.  "I was a greedy man.  I overcharged you.  Please take this.  I am a changed man now.  I will be honest in all my future dealings with you."
  Martin did not trust Zacchaeus for a second.  This must be a new trick of his.  "Why would I believe you are a changed man?  You have never listened to any of my pleas when you demanded money, but now you want me to believe things will be different?"
  "Martin, I know you to be an honest and good man.  I know it will be difficult for people to think of me differently, and I only have myself to blame.  Today, something incredible has happened to me.  Jesus from Nazareth, talked to me.  There was a whole crowd of people, and he noticed me.  I felt something inside me when He spoke my name--it's hard to explain.... the emptiness that I normally feel..... well, it's gone .... and now I feel....  alive.  I know, I know, I'm not making sense, but I am begging you for a second chance.  Jesus is coming to my house for dinner tonight.  I would like you to come as well.  Maybe if we shared a meal together with Jesus,  everything will be different."
  Martin looked long and hard at Zacchaeus.  He had never seen this side of Zacchaeus.  Was he delirious with a fever?  How could one man change Zacchaeus?  But... if one man could.... Martin would like to meet that man.  "I will consider your invitation, but I make no promises," Martin said.
  "I understand," Zacchaeus said.  "Regardless of your decision, here is the money I owe you and then some. Time will show you that I have changed."  Zacchaeus walked back out the door and began to wonder what he would be serving for dinner tonight."

(to be continued...)
  
-Susan