Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Ordinarily Beautiful!



  As I walked the shoreline with my daughters, we saw a multitude of different shells.  From a distance the shells all looked very similar, but as you got closer, each shell was a different size, a different color, a different shape. They were not the extraordinary ones you would photograph or prominently put on a shelf.  These were the ones people walked past without noticing. However, each one was beautifully created. 
  My daughter began collecting shell after shell. "Look, Mom, this one has a hole in it!  I could do so much with it!"  Then she picked up a broken shell and said, "Wow, even this broken one is beautiful!  I could fix this one or make it into something better."
  The thrill of my daughter's excitement caught me by surprise.  As she spoke,  I felt God's Presence with us.  I looked out at the ocean for a minute and silently took in the beauty all around me.  It was the perfect opportunity for a moment of prayer.  I wondered. "My Lord, You are an amazing Creator. You put so much thought and detail into each shell. If you cared this much about a shell, Your love for us must be tremendous.  Do you ever look at humanity the way my daughter marvels over these shells?"
  I stood there drinking in the magic of the seashore for a few minutes hoping for a response. When I looked back at my daughter and saw her standing there smiling,  I felt as if I had found my answer. 

-Susan