Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Journey Towards Discovery-an Advent Mini Series (Chapter 3)

click to view the previous chapters
  When I opened my eyes I was a bit confused.  Why am I laying down outside?  I heard a man's voice, then felt him touch my arm.
   "Are you okay?" he asked.
  I thought for a minute, "Why wouldn't I be ok?  And then I felt my head throbbing.  In a matter of seconds I remembered falling, meeting Father Jerry, and walking back to the house....oh, please tell me I didn't pass out.
  "You passed out when you bent over.  You were just out for a few seconds, but I think we better get you to a doctor.  Is your mom home?"
  "No, she's at work, but I have her number in my phone."
  "Do you think you can get up?"
  "I think so."  Slowly I sat up and then found my balance to stand.  This is so embarrassing.  I managed to walk inside and sit down on the couch.  "My phone is on the kitchen table.  I think your right, I better call my mom.  Father Jerry retrieved my phone and I wondered what exactly I was going to say to my mom.  I tried my best to sound very calm and matter-of-fact, but I don't think I did a very good job.
  My mom's voice became a little shaky and high pitched.  "Oh my gosh, Eric, are you okay?  Do you need stitches?  How bad is it?  You had to call a priest?  I'm leaving right now.  Should I call an ambulance?"
  "Mom relax it's not that bad.  I didn't call a priest to give me last rites.  He was just walking in the back yard."
  "Eric you aren't making any sense. Just keep your eyes open no matter how tired you feel.  Don't fall asleep.  I'm coming!"
  Father Jerry found an ice pack in the freezer and suggested I put it on my forehead.  We spent the next twenty minutes talking about football, Michigan Tech, and my classes.  I was amazed how much he knew about everything.  I thought priests only talked about religious stuff.  In fact, if he wasn't wearing that weird friar outfit, I would have forgotten he was a priest.  He was really easy to talk to and made some funny comments.  I was laughing at one of his observations when my mom burst through the door.
  "Eric are you okay?" Mom asked half hysterically.
  "Mom, I'm good.  Don't freak out. Hey this is Mr. Decker's brother, Father Jerry."
  "Hi, it's nice to meet you," Father Jerry said as he extended his hand.  "Eric should probably see a doctor.  I think he may have a concussion."
  "Yes, I'm going to take him to the emergency room right now," declared Mom.  "Thank you for all your help, Father.  Do you need me to drive you somewhere?"
  "Don't worry about me.  Just take care of Eric.  I know my way back.  Is there anything I can do for you?"
  "Say some prayers, please?" Mom said with a deep sigh.
  "That's my favorite past time.  I'll put in a special request for both of you," said Father Jerry as he flashed me a smile.
  Mom and I got into the car and headed for the hospital.

(to be continued...)