Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Journey to Discovery- An Advent Mini series (chapter 14)

 click here to read chapter one

 The next couple of days passed quickly.  My grandparents called to say they would be coming into town a few days early in order to beat a predicted snowfall.  It was great having them stay with us.  Between my school schedule and their travel plans, it had been awhile since we had been together and we had a lot of catching up to do.  Before I knew it, it was Christmas Eve.  We always went to mass on Christmas Eve and this year was no different.
  As we entered church I was happy to see Father Jerry and the Deckers.  We exchanged handshakes and hugs as I introduced them to my grandparents. "Father Jerry it is wonderful to meet you.  Eric speaks very highly you.  You have made quite an impression on my grandson," said my grandma.
  Smiling, Father Jerry said, "Eric has made quite an impression on me as well.  You should be very proud of your grandson."
  "Oh, I am," my grandma answered back.
  "Eric, I'm glad I ran into you.  I was going to try to stop by after mass.  I have something for you." said Father Jerry.
  "Oh, definitely come by after mass.  We would love it if you could all come over," invited Mom.
  "Are you sure we wouldn't be intruding?" inquired Mrs. Decker.
  "It would be great to have you guys over," I said.
  "Okay we'll see you after mass, " replied Father Jerry.
  The six o'clock mass was always crowded because the children's choir sang.  Looking around I gave a wave to lots of familiar faces.  There is something special you can almost feel at a Christmas mass.  Everyone is warm and friendly and eager to sing and participate in the mass.  I especially enjoyed having my grandparents next to me, it reminded me of my childhood.  I don't know why, but I was surprised to see Father Jerry celebrating mass with my pastor on the alter.  It made me smile. Tonight's mass just felt very special.
  Shortly after we arrived home, Father Jerry and the Deckers came over.  Mr. Decker seemed to be in a very good mood tonight.  He was very excited to tell my grandparents about his backyard surprise.
  "You know, I have had to call Eric every night since, because somebody has heard about it and wants to see it."
  "Oh, I know," said my Grandpa, "I'm usually the guy that helps him turn the lights and candles on.  I couldn't believe it myself, the first time I saw it.  I imagine seeing it from a horse-drawn carriage would really be something."
  "It was a wonderful surprise!" added Mrs. Decker.  "We have visited with more neighbors these past few days than we have the past year.  It's been a lot of fun."
  It was nice to see the Decker's enjoying themselves.  Mom and Grandma were busy in the kitchen and it wasn't long before they had a fantastic meal on the table.  Father Jerry brought over a large crockpot of lamb stew that he had started earlier in the day which was as equally delicious.  We all sat around talking and eating and laughing for a couple of hours.  My grandpa is an amazing story teller and he kept us entertained with his stories about the cross country road trip he and Grandma had taken.  Somehow my grandpa always seems to encounter people with very colorful and amusing experiences.  
  After dessert, Mr. Decker handed me two small Christmas bags.  "You didn't have to get me anything," I said.
  "I know but we wanted to.  This one is from Shirley and me."  Inside was a canvas picture of the Decker's backyard with all the lights.  "I asked one of my friends that came over to take some pictures  for us.  This one's my favorite."  On the back was taped a note that said,  "Thank you for reminding us to count our blessings!"
  "Thank you, this is great!  I'm going to hang this up in my dorm room!"
  "The other one is from me, Eric, but do me a favor don't open it until tomorrow," insisted Father Jerry.

  Christmas morning began with the smell of Grandma's special cinnamon rolls.  After breakfast we all sat around and exchanged gifts.  Mom loved the pearl rosary bracelet and it fit perfectly.  She was so grateful for the Rosary meditation book.  She had a tear in her eye as she thanked and hugged me.  "I can't tell you how much these gifts mean to me.  It was really thoughtful, Eric, thank you so much."
  "Your welcome, Mom.  Father Jerry recommended the book. He said it was really good."
  "I can't wait to read it then.  Hey, why don't you open the present from Father Jerry next."
  I found the Christmas bag Father Jerry convinced me to put under the tree. Inside I found a red, leather journal with a note inside.





  I showed the letter to my mom.  "So, can I call Father Jerry and tell him "YES!?!" I said unable to contain my excitement!
  "That is an incredibly, generous gift! A once in a lifetime experience-of course you can go! Yes, go call him!" Mom urged.
   I punched in Mr. Decker's number and listened to the ringing.
  "Merry Christmas, Eric!  Did you open the present?" inquired Mr. Decker.
  "Yes, I did!  Can I please speak with Father Jerry!"  My heart was racing as I waited from him to come to the phone.
  "Good morning, Merry Christmas!"
  "Merry Christmas!  Yes!  My answer is yes!  I definitely want to go!  Thank you so much!.... And I really like the journal!  Do you think I could borrow a couple of your quotes and prayers!.....  I'm so excited right now I can't even think straight! You can't see me but I'm jumping up and down.  Thank you so much!"
  "Good, I'm glad you like the present.  Give me a call tomorrow and we'll talk more about it!  Merry Christmas Eric!"
  "Merry Christmas Father Jerry!"

  I got off the phone and told my grandparents the good news.  Needless to say, we were all very excited.  I showed my grandparents the Divine Mercy picture Father Jerry had given me.  I decided that I would attach this picture to the first page of my prayer journal.  
  "What's going on the next page?" Mom wondered.
  "I'm not sure yet.  I'm going to give it some thought."
  Later that evening, I sat for awhile just looking at the Christmas tree, in particular the lights.  I thought about Father Jerry's comment on how we all have little moments in our lives where we have the opportunity to let the light of Christ shine.  I tried to think about different moments in the past year..... I looked again at the tree.  It takes a lot of lights for the tree to look really good.... I reached for my prayer journal under the tree and opened it to the second page.  I sketched a string of Christmas lights and then colored it in with colored pencils.  Underneath I wrote a note to myself.
      This year's goal:  Add as many lights to this strand as             you can.

  I suppose if anyone else saw my sketch it wouldn't make any sense.  But I wasn't writing to anyone else.  This book was going to be between me and Jesus.  I wanted Jesus to know that something changed in me this Christmas.  I can't really explain it, but I somehow see things a little differently now.  And even though I'm sure I would be helping Mom put away all the Christmas decorations in a week or so, I wanted to remember the strand of Christmas lights.  The light of Christ shouldn't be something you display only for the month of December.  I decided, this year I was going to try to carry it with me all year long. I turned back one page and said, "And Jesus, I trust that you will help me with this.  Merry Christmas, Jesus!"


-Susan