Thursday, December 10, 2015

Looking For Signs Of Christ This Christmas- Guest Writer Claudia

Of all the seasons of the Church year, Advent is my favorite.It is a season of hope and anticipation; a season of remembering and embracing; a season of quiet solitude as we prepare our lives to accept the reality of our Salvation.  
Every year I have the opportunity to go on a retreat with folks from a small faith community with whom I worship.  Our Advent retreat this year took place at the River House Spirituality Center in Monroe, MI.  The Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) transformed the former home of their chaplain into this wonderful place of prayer and it was in this warm and peaceful environment that we meditated on the theme of “Becoming Mary in a Martha World…”  
As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. “Master, don’t you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand.”
The Master said, “Martha, dear Martha, you’re fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. Mary has chosen what is better, and it won’t be taken from her.”
  This is exactly what I needed at this point in my life…I needed to be reminded to slow down and sit at the Master’s feet.  The busyness of family and work often pulls me in many directions and I realize I am becoming grouchy and resentful.  Why do you have time to relax?  Why can’t you help me with all of this?  The retreat made it vividly clear that God has me just where he wants me to be right now and that, as a disciple, I must put myself at the feet of Jesus to listen and learn from the One who loves me in all my imperfections.
Isaiah 9.1 reminds me…The people who walk in darkness  
have seen a great light. 





 This was especially poignant to me this year.  Our retreat began in the darkness of an incredible foggy day.  By afternoon, as the day brightened a bit and the fog lifted, I was reminded again that God’s love always shines through!