Sunday, December 27, 2015

Feast of the Holy Family- Just wondering...

  I really like thinking about Jesus as a child.  I can only imagine how incredible it must have been to raise Jesus.  I wonder what made the child Jesus laugh?  I wonder what kind of games Mary and Joseph played with Jesus. Like most families I'm sure there were plenty of opportunities to exchange jokes and hugs and love.  Family time is very important and we learn so much from each other.  Often we share similar likes, dislikes, attitudes and behaviors. Sometimes I smile when I use a phrase my mother or father used to say or I hear my children echo me. I wonder if Jesus ever sounded like Mary and Joseph and if He did, how happy that would have made them.  Children are amazing gifts from God. As much as we like to teach our children, they are constantly teaching us.  It is the love of a child that will move us to make sacrifices, grow in patience, and view the world differently.  Most of us parents would do anything for our children.  Perhaps this is why it was so important for Jesus to reveal the loving nature of God our Father.  A father who loves His children so much that He spends His time teaching and loving and forgiving us, and then making the ultimate sacrifice so that we can be a covenanted, holy family.  And I wonder if God gets enough moments to smile at us and think , "Wow, they sound just like Me!"