Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Absolutely Amazing!


  Harper stood at the start line with all the other kids.  She listened carefully as they explained the rules.  Each child could find three eggs, and inside each egg contained something special.  Harper looked at the other kids and got a little worried.  They looked bigger.  They were probably faster than her, too.  She wondered if there were even enough eggs for everyone to get three.
  "Okay is everybody ready?"  asked the lady in charge.  "On your mark, get set, go!"
  Suddenly Harper felt kids pushing past her.  Within minutes she could hear the other kids shout, "I got one!  I found another one!"
  Harper watched as everyone ran ahead of her.  She wondered if she should just start running, too, when all of a sudden she looked down and saw the most beautiful golden egg she had ever seen.  As she bent down to pick it up, she wondered how all the kids could have just ran past it and not even notice it?  Just holding the egg felt special to Harper.  Carefully, she opened the egg.  Inside were two tiny pieces of wood and a small note that read:  "My dear child, hold the piece of wood in your right hand that says 'LOVE'.  Take the other piece that says 'FORGIVENESS' and lay it across it to form a cross."
  When Harper did this the letters disappeared and then formed a new word: MERCY.  Harper smiled.  The mercy of God was incredible.  It was the most beautiful gift she had ever received!  She just stood there allowing the mercy of God to touch her.  She wasn't even sure how much time had passed when she suddenly realized all the other kids were back and talking about their eggs.  
  "I found three eggs filled with dollar bills!"
  "My eggs had pretty jewelry!"
  "My eggs were filled with my favorite candy!"
  Harper was excited, too, and said, "I only found one egg, but look what was inside-God's mercy!"
  "Let me see," said one boy.  "Oh, that just a cross."
  "No, look closer," said Harper.  "When God's love and forgiveness intersect, we find His Mercy.  Isn't it absolutely amazing!"
  Another boy looked and said, "I don't get it. What's so amazing about it?"
  Harper looked at the boy and said, "Come here.  I want you to feel how amazing God's mercy is."
  The boy shook his head, "No thanks.  I have to show my dad my money.  See ya."
  Harper couldn't believe that anyone would walk away from God's mercy.  It's so beautiful.  I wonder why they don't see it?  Harper was lost in thought when her mom walked up to her.
  "Hey, Harper did you enjoy the egg hunt?"
  "Oh, Mom, wait until I show you the treasure I found.  You're are going to love it!"

-Susan