Wednesday, April 26, 2017

As Real As Possible

  Yesterday I received an email from my church asking if I would be willing to portray Mary to the people who are going through RCIA this year.  For some, it may be there first exposure to Mary.  They would like me to make Mary as real as possible.  I thought this would make a good meditation for all of us.  How real is Mary to you?  Does she laugh?  Does she cry?  How did her faith carry her through the many challenges of her life: an unexpected pregnancy which could have costed her marriage or divorce, experiencing labor for the first time without anyone to help her, traveling to a foreign land in order to protect the life of her son, not knowing whether her twelve year old son was safe or hurting while they were separated for three days,  the pain of being a widow, hearing the rumors that Jesus' life may be in danger while he was preaching, and then the utter agony of watching her son tortured, beaten and crucified for our sake.
  In the past I have asked you to sit with Mary and ask her about her son.  Today, I'm going to switch it up.  I would like you to sit with Jesus this weekend and ask Him to tell you about His Mom.  What does He love most about Mary and how could we learn from her example of discipleship?  I can see Jesus smiling already.....can you?  Enjoy your time together!

-Susan