Friday, September 23, 2016

Staying on the Path



 I was taking my dog, Fitz, for a walk through the park.  Fitz loves the park.  He also loves the squirrels that are out and about collecting nuts.  Unfortunately for me, what used to be a nice walk, has turned into Fitz darting off in all directions trying to chase the squirrels up the trees. As he jerks me from one direction to the next and into the dirt, I had to ask him, “Why do you keep chasing after things you can’t have?    Why can’t you just stay on the path?”
  Fitz, of course, did not answer, but it did get me thinking.  I wonder how many times God has watched me chase after things that took me off the right path.  It’s surprising how some harmless little distractions can take our focus away from prayer and spending time with God.  As we shift from one season to the next, this may be a good time to check the footprints we are leaving.  Are they on the path or are they off chasing squirrels?


-Susan