Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Meditating on God's Will

  Riley pulled into the church parking lot with the music from the car radio blaring.  Riley was having a good day.  Her boss let her off work early for no apparent reason, she just heard her three favorite songs, and now that she didn't have to work, she was going to be able to make the youth group meeting.  "Isn't is funny how sometimes things just work out perfect," she thought to herself.  As she jumped out of the car and headed towards the social hall,  she noticed the pizza delivery truck parked by the curb and smiled.  "Yes, I made it in time for the pizza," she said out loud to herself.
   Riley saw her friends had already grabbed some pizza and were sitting at their usual table.  She quickly grabbed some pizza and pop and joined them.
  "Riley you made it!  I thought you had to work," said Hunter.
  "I know, right?  My boss was in a great mood today and said I could take off early."
  "Lucky you," said Sammy.  "My boss is never in a good mood.  He wanted me to work late tonight and got mad when I said I already had a prior commitment."
  "Well I'm just happy I didn't miss tonight's guest speaker. I forget what his name is, but he's supposed to talk about understanding God's Will in your life.  I really don't get how anybody knows if they're following God's Will."
  The three friends continued to talk and enjoy their  pizza until the youth group leader, Miss Carol, asked everyone to join her in welcoming John Ewing.
  "Hello everyone.   I'm very excited to be sharing the evening with you.  You'll notice I put paper and pens one each table.  I would like to start the evening by asking everyone to write down what they think is God's Will for their life.
  Riley looked around and noticed how some people immediately began writing something down.  Riley looked down at her paper and wondered what she would write.  She really had no idea  It's not like she ever heard God's voice.  She wondered if she was the only one who didn't know.  She picked up a pen and drew a giant question mark.  She figured if she really wanted to know God's Will for her life, she should start by being honest.
  John asked everyone to take their slip of paper and put it in their pocket for safe keeping.  Then he invited everyone to follow him outside into the parking lot.  "Please, everyone spread out.  I don't want you to be close to anyone but God right now.  Next, I'm going to hand you each a mask to place over your eyes.  Right now, I don't want you to be distracted by the world or your friends.  I want you to focus on some one-on-one time with God.  Once you have  your masks on, I wanted you to sit down and be comfortable. 
  Let us invite God into our presence.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.  Heavenly Father we ask you to bless us hear tonight with your gift of wisdom.  Our lives could take so many different directions, but tonight, we ask that you point us in the direction that is best for us.  We ask that you open our ears to Your Voice and that You guide each of our steps.
  I want each of you to take the next 60 seconds to clear your head of all thoughts.  Picture a giant erase board that is completely blank.   Now, ask God to write on the board three habits He would like you to change in your life.  What three things did you see God write?  Next, spend a few minutes asking God why you need to change those habits.........Now ask God if He will help you.  Ask God to bless you with the gift of understanding and to bestow extra graces upon you so that you will make better decisions.......And now, if you really want to follow God's Will, ask Him for the eraser.  Take the eraser and erase these three habits from your life....... Now ask God to write three new habits He would like you to start doing...............Spend the next few minutes talking about what God would like to see you concentrate on............
 Sometimes change can be difficult.  Sometimes we just need to change our perspective. I want everyone to stand up. Next, I would like you to show God that you really want to make some changes in your life.  I want each of you to turn 90 degrees in either direction.    Now looking at your three items, ask God if praying more would help you accomplish His Will.  If God's answer is 'yes', take three steps forward.  If you will need to spend more time reading scripture take two steps forward.  If you are unsure if you ready to make these changes, take one step sideways.  Now I would like everyone to take their masks off.  Look at the path you are on.  Notice that you are all pointed in a slightly different direction and that's okay, because you are on the path that God has chosen for you.  That is why you can't just do what everyone else is doing.  God has a specific plan and direction for your life, and you need to keep praying and communicating with God to be sure you are moving in the right direction.  Each of our choices matters.  How we respond individually to God matters.  Now pull out those papers I had you put in your pockets.  I want you to turn them over and write the three new habits God would like you to work on and then I would like you to join me back in church for some group prayer."
  Riley pulled out her paper and smiled at her question mark.  She thought to herself, "I always thought God's Will was so mysterious.  I guess I didn't know it, because I never took the time to ask or to listen.  Well, God, starting today that's all going to change."

-Susan