Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Getting to Church Isn't Always Easy



 A group of four individuals gathered in the middle of a beautiful garden in Heaven.  Flowers of every color scented the air with a touch of honeysuckle-rose. The four sat comfortably with each other, laughing and enjoying each other's company. Although each spoke a different language, they understood each other perfectly. 
  Philomena said, "I have been here almost two thousand years and I am stilled amazed and overjoyed with love every time I see Our Lord."
  "I know what you mean. Every day, I am grateful that I made the right choices during my earthly life." replied Charles. "Sometimes getting to mass was a challenge,  but when the Lord showed me all the graces He had bestowed upon me with each mass,  I cried like a baby.  I knew the Lord was good, but I didn't realize the extent to which He loved me.  If I had known then, I never would have complained while walking those three miles to mass each Sunday."
  Philomena smiled and nodded.  "There were a few times the Roman guards were watching my family so closely that I feared we would not make it to the catacombs alive to celebrate mass with the others."
  Marvin looked with admiration at Philomena.  "I never feared for my life when going to mass, except maybe in the winter," he said with a chuckle.  "It seemed I never had enough blankets to keep me warm while I encouraged the horses to keep pulling the carriage faster and closer to the church."
  George shook his head a little before he admitted, "You know I lived five minutes from my church.  I drove my well-equipped four door sedan in comfort every week to mass.  Do you want to know what I complained about on the way to church?  I  complained about being tired and wanting to sleep a little more.  I shake my head when I imagine what I might have missed just for an extra hour of sleep.  I am lucky that God loved me so much, and was always patient with me.  Like you, Charles, I cried with joy when I saw all the graces God had given me at each mass."
  "I guess that's why it is written, 'Eye has not seen, nor hear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.' " added Marvin.
  "Perhaps if the world understood the beauty of a soul touched by God's grace, every church in every nation would be filled to capacity." said Philomena.
  "I hope we all witness that one day," declared Charles. 
  "Praise God!" they all said in unison.