Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Road Closed

  It had been a busy day and I decided to sit on the porch for a minute to rest.  Then without warning,  I felt the presence of the Lord.  "Come, I want to show you something."  Eagerly I followed.  He brought me just around the bend of the road I had been on.  The road divided into two.  He then said, "I'd like you to take the path to the right now."
  I looked at the path.  Really?  It wasn't even paved.  It was steep and bumpy and not well trodden.  I got scared.  "Lord," I said, "That looks a lot harder than the road I've been on.  Do you really think I can handle that?"
  The Lord smiled, His eyes were warm and loving.  "Yes, it will definitely be harder.  Not very many choose that path, although I wish they would.  I have placed many graces along the way to make the journey easier.  There are some spots along this path so beautiful that words cannot describe.  You should travel lightly.  Unburden yourself of some of the world's treasures you like so much, and it wouldn't hurt to leave behind some of your pride.  So, what do you think?"
  I have to admit my eyes filled with tears.  I didn't see this coming--the path looked really challenging.  I was hoping my life would be getting a little smoother.
  "Are you sure this is the path you want me to take?"  I was hoping this was just a mistake or maybe just a test of faith.
  "My dear child, I know your fears.  I feel your heart sadden.  The road you were on is good, but it will never lead you where I know you could be.  I want you to be closer to me."
  "Lord this new path terrifies me, but if it your wish, then.... let Your Will be done."   I turned very slowly towards the new path.  I took a few small steps forward.  The ground was hard and uneven.  I almost lost my footing and my nerve.  Regaining balance, I repeated over and over, "Where You lead, I will follow.  Where You lead, I will follow."  And so began my new journey.

-Susan