Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Out of Order


  Today was cleaning day.  Tommy had put it off for too long.  He took a good look around his room and cringed.  Yikes!  When did things get so out of order?  He saw a collection of some of his bad habits in a pile against the wall.  "Wow I don't remember using all these four letter words," he thought to himself.  Some of them were streaked with anger and some of them stained with malice.  As he began to pick them up and throw them into his garbage bag,  he noticed just how ugly they were. He shook his head and said, " I really don't need these." 
   As he looked around the room, he noticed a few other things he could do without.  There was the "Do Not Disturb" sign he threw in his little brother's face every time he wanted to hang out with him, and the ear plugs that stopped him from hearing his parents ask for help.  "And what is that stuff on top of my dresser?  Oh yeah, that's my pile of lies that I resort to when I'm feeling lazy.  Hmm... some of these are more transparent than I realized." 
  Next Tommy looked at his bench at the end of his bed.  There were just hours and hours of wasted time piled up.  Hours that he had spent on all his electronics instead of doing his homework or chores. Tommy worked hard cleaning everything up and it wasn't long before he had a couple of garbage bags tied up and ready to go.  He dropped them off at the curb,  grabbed his keys and then jumped into the car.  Before putting the key into the ignition, Tommy turned and looked at his passenger.  "You know, Jesus, you were right.  Those things were really getting in the way of us hanging out.  Thanks for letting me know.  Now, show me where you want us to go next."