Thursday, March 22, 2018

Could He Be? (Part 6)

(This fictional story based on the gospel narratives began on blog post 3-5-18.)

  For the next few weeks Gil put all his time and energy into the family business.  He desperately tried to forget about Jesus, but he couldn't.  Over and over he could hear Jesus' words in his mind.  Normally this brought Gil such joy.  Now he just felt so confused.  He felt completely lost now that he wasn't following Jesus anymore.  Gil had even avoided going to the synagogue lately.  He didn't want to hear anymore stories about Jesus.
  One afternoon Gil set out to visit a friend who lived a few miles away.  The afternoon sun was quickly heating up the road.  Gil felt his thirst build.  His mind replayed Jesus' words, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.....Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you."  Suddenly, a strong thought forced Gil to stand still.  
  Gil began to wrestle with his own thoughts:  I have not had life within me ever since I walked away that day. . .  how do I live without Jesus in my life?. . .  "My Lord I have been crying out to you for help, and all I keep hearing are the words of Jesus. .. . I have been praying and begging You for help. . . . and I just keep hearing Jesus in my thoughts. . . .  God, please answer my prayer!"
  Gil fell to his knees and began sobbing.  "I don't know what to 
do. . . I don't know what to do. . . My Lord, help me to draw closer to you."  For several minutes Gil remained on the side of the road sobbing releasing all his pain and confusion.  Exhausted and completely empty, Gil asked God one more time, "Please Lord, set me one the right path."  As he wiped the tears from his face, a wave of peace came over him.  
  Again Gil heard the words of Jesus in his mind, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you."  Every time he prayed, he heard the words of Jesus.  Suddenly, Gil's mind cleared and he had an epiphany.  
  "Am I so foolish that I cannot even recognize the answer to my own prayers?  Yes, I am that foolish.  I was so lost in my own reasoning, that I stopped recognizing God's voice.  I don't have to have it all figured out,  I just have to have enough faith to trust God.  Gil found himself reciting scripture, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."
  "Lord, increase my trust in Your ways."  Gil looked at the road ahead of him.  This is not the path for me.  I must find the path that takes me back to Jesus.  Gil turned around and began running towards Jesus.  As he ran,  Gil felt more alive than ever!

(to be continued...)