Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Could He Be? (Part 5)

(This fictional story based on the gospel narratives began on blog post 3-5-18.)

  For the next couple of years Gil spent half his time following Jesus in the nearby towns and the other half dedicated to his family's business.  Whenever he returned home he would share what he had learned from Jesus with his family and with Bartosz.  Bartosz was still very skeptical of Jesus, but Gil could tell he was winning him over.  They often would spend hours discussing Jesus' teachings and his healings.
  Gil had introduced himself to Jesus and his chosen twelve, and had enjoyed numerous meals and  private conversations with the group.  Gil was absorbing and practicing Jesus' teachings.  Gil did his best to be more generous and loving with everyone he met. He had never known such happiness. And then, very unexpectedly, everything changed.
  Gil did not even understand what happened that day.  The crowds were gathered around Jesus.  Some were asking for more miracles, to be fed as Moses had fed the people with manna.  Then Jesus said, "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I give is my flesh for the life of the world."
  Suddenly everyone was upset.  No one understood what Jesus was saying. " Jesus then said to them, 'Amen, amen I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."
  Gil stood there waiting for Jesus to explain his words.  Everyone was outraged with the thought of eating Jesus' flesh and drinking his blood.  This made no sense.  What was he talking about?  Gil waited for an explanation, while one by one, the crowd turned and walked away from Jesus.  Jesus didn't even try to stop anyone.  
  Gil felt his head spinning.  He desperately tried to understand, but he couldn't.  How could Jesus give his body for others to eat?  Slowly, Gil turned away from Jesus and walked away as well.  Maybe Bartosz had been right about Jesus after all.

(to be continued....)