Friday, March 9, 2018

Could He Be? (Part 2)

(This fictional story based on the gospel narratives began on blog post 3-5-18.)

  Gil could hardly think of anything else since yesterday's encounter with Jesus.  He tried to remember as many of the previous day's teachings as he could.  Gil had seen his fair share of visiting rabbi's before, but never heard anyone speak as this Jesus did.  His thoughts continued to race as did his pace towards Bartosz house.  Gil was quite eager to speak to his uncle about Jesus, but he wondered how he should approach the subject.  Gil was confused as to why Bartosz had such disdain for Jesus.
  "Gil it is good to see you!" greeted Bartosz.  "Please join me for dinner."
  Gil was pleased that Bartosz was in such a good mood.  "I would very much enjoy that uncle," said Gil.  
  "I saw you at the synagogue yesterday," said Bartosz.  Silence.   "I was surprised to see you in the crowd around that Nazarene."
  Silence. "Uncle, I did not realize you were there as well.  Did you hear him preach?"
  "I listened for a bit.  I didn't care for his style.  Who's authority does he preach under?  I did not hear him quote any of the usual rabbi's."
  "You are right.  His style is different, but I found it inspiring!" admitted Gil.
  "Gil, you were not fooled by this man, were you?  I have spent too many years teaching you better."
  "Bartosz, I am always grateful for the wisdom you share with me.  You have always been generous and patient, and I value your opinion more than anyone.  I listened carefully to Jesus as you have taught me.  There was no error in his teachings.  Uncle, I felt something stir in me when he spoke.  His words cut right through my skepticism and awoken a longing for the Lord that I have never known."
  "Gil, you are young.  Your faith must be based on following the letter of the law and not on words that make you feel good."
  "Bartosz it is difficult for me to explain. What I felt was not an emotion, but rather an awareness of God. God was not beyond my reach.  God was beside me, encouraging me to come closer."
  "Gil did you see who else was in that crowd?" Silence.  "I did.  I saw sinners and those who never offer up sacrifices. I would be very wary of someone who surrounds himself with riffraff."
  "Jesus said he came for the lost sheep of Israel. Oddly, I did not feel like I was among riffraff, rather I felt a kinship with those who yearned for God.  Bartosz, did you see when Jesus healed that man of an unclean spirit?"
  "No.  I had already left.  I have heard the rumors though."
  "It is no rumor.  I was there.  I saw it with my own eyes!  It was astounding!  The unclean spirit called him "The Holy One of God".  Do you think He may be just that?"
  "No, I do not!  Let's stop talking about this foolishness before I lose my appetite."  Bartosz had difficulty hiding his annoyance with his nephew.  Gil had not heeded his warning and now he was confused.  This new teacher was making his job as a Pharisee much more challenging.  Bartosz was not interested in being challenged.
  Gil knew better than to continue the conversation about Jesus with Bartosz. . . . . for now anyways.  Although the conversation changed to new subjects, Gil did not change his mind about Jesus.  He knew he had to hear him speak again.

(to be continued...)