Friday, September 15, 2017

I Hope It's Just a Phase


  My son is going through a phase (at least I hope it's a phase) where it is completely embarrassing to be seen with his mother.  He doesn't mind talking to me when we are in our house.  He doesn't mind me feeding him or buying him things.  It's fine when it's just us, but he would prefer not to be seen with me in public.
  I was thinking how ridiculous this was when something suddenly occurred to me.  How often do people have that same attitude towards God?  I mean sure He is our Father and we love Him, but how many of us prefer to keep our relationship with God something hidden from the public eye?  It's okay to love God in our own houses and in our churches, but do we really want to be seen caring about God in public?  Do we really want our friends and neighbors to know how much we love God?  Do we introduce Him to our friends or do we just kind of ignore His Presence?  What did God do that was so embarrassing?
  My son needed a ride to work the other day.  As we pulled into the parking lot my son was quick to turn the volume down on my radio.  "Hey, why did you turn it down?" I asked.
  "I think I should get of the car in silence," he answered.
  I smiled and said, "Are you embarrassed someone might find out your Mom listens to Christian rock?"
  He looked at me and said, "I think that is something you should keep a secret."
  My smile grew wider and I said, "I have no intention of keeping it a secret!  I love Jesus!" and I turned the volume back up as my son quickly closed the door.  I'm not embarrassed to hang out with the Father.  I think He is awesome!  
  The question I would like to pose is this:  Are you embarrassed to love God in public?  I hope your answer was "No", and if it wasn't,  pray that you outgrow this phase.  Have a great weekend!

-Susan