Friday, August 18, 2017

3 Day Peace Challenge



  This past week has been very difficult to understand.  It is difficult to ever make sense out of acts of hate and violence.  Like me, I'm sure you have been praying for the victims of Charlottesville  and those of Barcelona. I have prayed for those who have lost their lives and those whose lives will never be the same.  Grief can be so overwhelming, difficult, isolating, confusing, and not to mention, so incredibly painful.
  As I prayed, I wished there was something I could do.... I remembered St. Theresa of Calcutta's famous quote, 
"We can do no great things; just small things with great love." 
 I also thought about the "Sign of Peace" we offer each other at mass.  As I continued to pray I got the feeling that it was time to take this simple gesture beyond the walls of the church and into the streets.  We need to offer God's peace to everyone.  We need God to heal us and our world.
  Theresa and I would like to extend a 3 day challenge.  For three days, we would like you to extend some sign of peace to anyone of your choosing. Then invite any 3 people to do the same.  Pray that the peace you offer the world will make a change.  Pray, that in some way, God uses you to bring about peace.  Pray that God will heal those who are hurting.  It will take less than 10 seconds for you to say "Peace be with you," to someone, but I think it's important to remind each other, that God's desire has always been for us to live in peace.
  Please consider joining us in this prayer of peace for the world.

-Susan & Theresa