Friday, June 17, 2016

Who's Teaching Who?

  It was shortly after dinner, when Marianne finally got a chance to sit down and rest.  She was about to turn the television on when she heard her five year old daughter, Claire, playing in the next room.  "Hey, honey, what are you up to?"  Marianne inquired.
  "I'm just playing with my dolls, Mom.  Do you want to play, too?" Claire hoped.
  "Sure, I could play for a little bit.  Which doll do you want me to play with?"
  Claire looked at the three dolls she had lined up on her bed.  "Well, you could be Chrissy or Emily." Claire said as she picked up the other doll in her hands.
  "Okay, I guess I'll be Chrissy.  She looks like a pretty doll." Marianne stated.
  "Oh, she is pretty, but she is also very hungry.  She hasn't eaten in two days because she is very poor.  I was just about to feed her.  Do you want to do it?"  Claire began looking through her toy chest.
  "What are you looking for?"  Marianne asked.
  "Oh, I know I have an extra bottle in here.  I was just going to find it for you.  Also I need to find Emily's coat and shoes because she is very cold."
  "Wow, your dolls seem to have lots of problems."
  "I know.  Not everybody is as lucky as us, Mom.  That's why I have to take care of them.  Oh, here it is I found it!  Mom you can give this bottle to Chrissy so she'll stop crying."
  "Okay, I can feed her.  I didn't realize she was crying."  Marianne reached for the bottle and then began to feed Chrissy.
  "Mom look at her.  She is very sad.  We have to help her.  There are lots of kids just like her."
  "Did you learn about that in school today?"  Mom wondered as she placed the play bottle in Chrissy's mouth.
  "No.  We had stations today and gym."
  "Then how do you know that?"
  Claire looked at the doll in her hands and said, "Baby Jesus told me about it."
  "Oh, I didn't realize you named your doll,  Jesus.  Well that is a very good name!  When did Jesus tell you that?  I didn't hear him say anything."
  "I know.  He talks really quietly.  You have to be a good listener to hear him.  You know he used to give loud talks to people on hills, but now he just whispers his words to people."
  Marianne realized that playing dolls tonight was going to take on more meaning then she had originally thought.  "That's very interesting.  What else did Jesus tell you?"
  "Hmmm...I don't know....He said we should take care of others, the way I take care of my dolls.........Hey Mom what do bees like to do?"
  "Bees??  Well they like to make honey.  Why do you ask?"
  Clare smiled as she found the perfect outfit to put on baby Emily.  "Jesus said I should learn more about bee attitudes.  He said it was important and that you could teach me."
  "Jesus wants me to teach you about bees?  Why?"
  "I don't know.  He said he blesses people when they help others who are sad, or when they show mercy, or have a pure heart."
  "Oh, now I know what you're talking about.  Your talking about the Beatitudes."
  "Ya, that's what I said."
  "I guess I misunderstood at first," Marianne admitted feeling a little stupid. Marianne picked up the doll named Jesus and said, "If Jesus wants me to teach you about the Beatitudes, then that's what I'll do.  I'll go look online and see if I can find a good book to get us started."
  "Thanks, Mom."  Claire said as she began to set up a tea party.
  Marianne looked at the face of the doll named Jesus and asked Claire,  "You know, Claire you are very lucky to have a doll that talks to you."
  Claire started laughing.  "Mom, my doll can't really talk.  You are so silly.  Jesus told me that when I said my prayers."
  Marianne joined her daughter's laughter. "You're right, it's been a long day and I am not thinking straight.  When did you get so smart?  Ok, I'll go check the computer while you have a tea party."
  "Ok, Mom. "
  Marianne headed towards the den realizing just how important teaching Claire about Jesus was going to be.

-Susan