Thursday, June 9, 2016

A Little Soul Music Please




  Did you ever have one of those days were you get a song stuck in your head?  When my kids were little I would often hear the ABC song, Dora, Dora the explorer, Dinosaur Train, or any of the Little Mermaid songs playing over and over in my mind. I would think to myself, "Seriously, why can't I get these preschool songs out of my head?"  But for many years as I raised my children, that was my environment.  Then one day when I was in the car alone, I decided to shut the radio off and sing songs to God instead.  That day changed my life.
   I have found that music can can offer a great deal to my spiritual life.  During mass, music can engage different areas in my mind, heightening my prayer experience.  Music can set the mood during meditation allowing me to peacefully focus my time with God while blocking out distracting noises.  I have also found that songs can be an answer to be prayers.  Let me explain.
   Sometimes after praying about a certain situation or problem,  a certain song may come to mind.  While I was grieving, many of the Psalms that I had heard song during mass, would come to my mind. I found it to be very comforting and I knew that even during this very difficult, painful time,  the Lord was right there by my side.  Sometimes when I am unsure or stressed, the song "Be Not Afraid" by John Michael Talbot will come to mind or the song from Sister Act, "I Will follow Him".  Those are just a few examples.  Trust me,  I could go on and on.
  What songs do you sing to bring you close to Jesus?  If you haven't given it any thought before, I would like to suggest trying it.  There are so many good ways to pray, and song is definitely one of them.  The next time you go to turn on the radio, don't.  Instead, ask Jesus to put a song in your heart and see what happens.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

-Susan